Some solutions to global warming

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Oyuki kigan, there is a solution to the totally artificial problems mentioned in that interesting article.

Joel Salatin at Polyface Farm has a model that creates soil, thereby sequestering CO2 (and providing meat). There's actually no mystery to it.
The problem is not choosing the correct raft of solutions to reducing GHG's (there's no single fix-all), it's that politicians in all tiers of government are pissing in the pockets of industrialists.

It's glaringly obvious in Australia and England, and a matter of normal operating procedure in the USA e.g. lobbyist access to the President.

Pollies are looking for comfy jobs after their terms in politics, so feather their nests well beforehand.

As for big business denying access to locally grown produce - I know of a bloke in the country who grows 1000's of hydroponic tomatoes. He approached the local retailers (Coles & Woolworths) in the nearby towns to bargain a contract, but was denied, being told they get their crops from the Northern Territory and wouldn't consider using locally grown produce.

He now sells them at local markets and non-chain related shops, and as a consequence, has no probs getting rid of the crop.

So, what to do if your elected officials and big-business are running the scams? (Please don't suggest not voting for them - it obviously doesen't work)

Our form of democracy has been altered whilst we were asleep - pollies SHOULD work for 'us' not vice-versa, eh?

With the water crisis in NSW/Sydney, I think the coming few years will see a significant public backlash to pollie power.

Has anyone heard of 'Intake Magic'?

A science teacher (and hippie) at my school told me about it. It is a seal that goes on the air intake of an engine, and somehow changes the proccess so that emissions are cut by some ridiculous number.

Has anyone heard of it/ I was thinking about shelling out the 20,000 yen and getting one. The teacher swears by it, he was on his hands and knees shiffing his exhaust pipe after, swearing that there was no smell.

The website (in Japanese) is here

http://www.intakemagicpro.jp/

Kind of hard to beleive anything with the word "magic" in its name stuck on an air intake hole is going to do anything very benefical to the workings on an internal combustion engine. I hope you didn't pay too much for it!

>Probably best not to post advice about something you know SFA about

That doesn't stop you Ocean so why should I be constrained in that regard? Having looked at the website I can only conclude from the preposterous claims of the manufacturer that the idea is a complete farce. I'm not surprised that you bought into it though. You seem to be predisposed to lapping up absurdities from the internet.

Actually I met the manufacturers at an environmental product trade show, saw the product demonstrated, heard the engineers explain how it works, listened to other engineers question them about it, checked reviews on the internet tubes, then finally concluded, well jeez, the price compares very favourably with the price of a few tanks of petrol, I'll happily fork over the money even for a trivial improvement.

I don't seriously pontificate about things I know SFA about because it so frequently ends in embarrassment.

Oh, and I'm sure one of the petrol heads on here will be happy to confirm that air intake plays a crucial role in engine performance - the holes aren't just for decoration.

>air intake plays a crucial role in engine performance

And after all that enquiry you walked away with that bit of insight? Amazing. SJ must be thrilled to have a resident polymath of such standing.

You didn’t happen to get an understanding of HOW this device improves the performance of the engine did you? Would you care to make use of your diligently acquired knowledge to enlighten the rest of us as to how this simple and cheap device has produced such an improvement? But then perhaps you didn’t really understand it and didn’t really care how it worked after you heard people describing themselves as engineers and scientists (perhaps even a scholar or two?) pushing the product, because that was enough for you and out came the wallet.

So you're not going to explain how it works? You accuse me of knowing SFA about it - big assumption there and quite wrong by the way - then get all coy about backing up your professed understanding of the 'magic' product with detail. Can't say I’m surprised.

No, I'm not going to explain it for you. You're too lazy to find out for yourself.

You've allowed yourself to get your knickers in a sweaty bunch because of Asian English naming practices. (Today I got a Christmas card from my local antique shop, Antiques Vulvora. I guess their antiques can't be any good).

Oyuki, this site has all the info in a much more easily comprehensible format. People who don't have a clue could probably learn something too.

Terra Preta de Indio , the charcoal rich, carbon sinking, man-made soil of the Amazon and other areas looks like a potential solution too.

I reckon the really practical, harmless solutions will be ones that anybody can contribute too. I'm going to be trying to produce a small area of Terra Preta in my neighbourhood.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Terra Preta de Indio , the charcoal rich, carbon sinking, man-made soil of the Amazon and other areas looks like a potential solution too.

I reckon the really practical, harmless solutions will be ones that anybody can contribute too. I'm going to be trying to produce a small area of Terra Preta in my neighbourhood.
Many old-time (50+ years ago) sugar cane farmers used a similar method - after burning the cane to remove litter/vermin and harvesting the crop, the 'off-season' crop were usually potatoes, beans, or peas/lucerne (legumes).

Potatoes like soils rich in potash. Legumes fix nitrogen. After a few generations of doing this, the outcome is very productive, deep profile soils.

Two problems exist today however - making the carcoal adds to the greenhouse effect, using imported volcanic soils = delivery = the same. (Unless of course you're already on volcanic soils that mimic the base material of biochar?)

Using the carcoal from winter fires, BBQ's, etc is a slow but easier way to start for urbanites.