Downloading tracks = environmentally pure?

I found this very interesting.

http://environment.guardian.co.uk/columnist/story/0,,1924434,00.html

Quote:
In reality, there has been precious little research into this subject. But what does exist suggests that downloading tracks isn't quite as environmentally pure as it might at first seem.
I'll tell you what, my experience of downloading music is not good. I don't think it's as good a quality as CDs. For those with more experience in downloading, is that true or not? Or am I just downloading the not best tracks? (or something).

This was a good point.

Quote:
But this isn't enough to silence the critics who complain that Apple is guilty of encouraging us to buy new iPod models with far more frequency than is environmentally sensible.
I hope I am ok starting this post. Promise to post again if anyone responds ;\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by BagOfCrisps:
I'll tell you what, my experience of downloading music is not good. I don't think it's as good a quality as CDs. For those with more experience in downloading, is that true or not? Or am I just downloading the not best tracks? (or something).
Depends if you get a download that has been ripped by someone who knows what the score is and uses the optimum settings you can get some pretty good high quality sound. 192kbs plus bitrate for mp3.
Lossless codecs are also something worthwhile - about half the full size CD audio but no discernable sound difference.
.FLAC seems to be the most popular loseless .APE is another one.

i think it is just an element of the fundamental problem. our complete dependancy on electonic technology and yet our reluctance to use said resources to its educational potential is the fundamental issue at hand. the human cost of our haste to to improve efficiecy and create fashionable enviromentally sound policies has been horrendous.