Ocean - I've had that French pot once before and had forgotten about it. It was pretty enjoyable food, just like nabe but more western soupy kind of theme.

I'm hungry just thinking about this stuff.

Girlfriend and I cooked the 'French Nabe' - pot au feu - on the weekend (in Paris, of course :p ).

It takes hours to cook properly and we emptied a few bottles of really cheap French red to kill the time whilst talking a million miles an hour about this and that. We were drunk by the time we ate at 11pm, after buying all the ingredients on the way home that afternoon from some great little meat and vegetable shops that are still open and busy at 5pm on a Saturday. It was a good fun night with a really tasty ending.

I still can't pronounce Côtes du Rhône.

- A big lumpy bit of tough stringy beef

- Some yellow waxy type of spud that seems popular in Europe but seldom seen elsewhere. They go great in soup.

- Two onions

- Some leek

- [after removing the meat] A couple of big shank bone rings with marrow - usually cooked in Osso Bucco (my favourite food)

- some fresh herbs tied in a faggot (the drunker I got the more I called everything, including the dog, a faggot)

- Carrots

- Wanted turnip but couldn't get it

rain coat.... rain coat...rain cote. hmmmm, not convinced

O11, this is the description for the one at the aske matsuri in higashi hiroshima.

酒造りの蔵人が囲む「美酒鍋」。

東広島の名物料理「美酒鍋」は、素材を活かした 289;酒と塩胡椒だけのシンプルな味付け。

酒の街ならではのユニークな鍋料理です。

I'm not a fan of pot-au-feu. Dunno why but the smell of a boiling chicken carcass does me in. I like chicken, though preferably not boiled, and chicken soup, its just the smell of the boiling.

If we're venturing into stew territory, the borsch that that Soup Stock Tokyo place in the airports does is really tasty. Its done like a cross with French Onion soup and as fast food goes, its really good. The bread's a bit crappy though, so get the rice.

>>Soup Stock

They had some good stuff on offer, especially as you say, for a fast food chain in a train station.

>>Chicken: I heard the chicken variety is popular in Japan. Use cheap beef instead. The results would be better with a pressure cooker. Although lumps of beef are hard to come by in Japan.

>>poor dog: we have been consistently calling him The Pig for several months now. Pretty soon he wont know if he is a dog or a pig. In the third person he is The Pig and when we speak to him directly we simply call him Pig. Hang on, I just said we talk to The Pig. We have issues.

Had a beef nabe on Sat night and was going to have pork nabe on Sunday but the good wife changed to a Sukiyaki affair, a couple of weeks ago had a great Kamo nabe.

I am blessed, my wife is a excellent nabe chef, its great to often come home during my meal break ( I live really close to work) and eat delicious food then return to work. The Kamo nabe was a dinner break nabe, everyone asked why I looked so happy after my break, Nabe that good will put a smile on your dial for hours

Quote:
Although lumps of beef are hard to come by in Japan.
Right. Can't get them in my local. Strips of beef thats all they got.

Count me in as a big nabe fan.

Had my first sukiyaki of the season last night \:D