Looks like the missus and I will be spending NYE in Tokyo.

Are there organised activities (eg. fireworks, street parties, festivals) or is it more low key?

Any areas of Tokyo we should go to/avoid?

Appreciate your ideas thumbsup.gif

SA

SA, I have never done any outdoors/community NYE thing in Tokyo, so I can't help. Sorry

One year I stayed at home for some sleep then drove to Hakkouda at 3am in the morning. The next year I went to a few nightclubs and evaporated brain cells on rat poison for two nights and a day.

Compared the fuss made in 'stralia, NYE is relatively reserved in Tokyo so you have to make your own entertainment or get out of town when the roads are a bit empty.

>>Any areas of Tokyo we should go to/avoid?

YES! In general, avoid any part of Tokyo on the Kanto plain. That's good for any day of the year, not just Dec 31.

Going to one of the biggish shrines and drinking horrible cheap sake at usurious prices and watching fights breaking out because people who are praying are getting hit on the head by coins thrown by devotees behind is one of the more memorable ways of spending NY in a big Japanese city. Being able to speak to people around you makes this a bit more enjoyable though.

Otherwise, best to get out in the country somewhere quiet and have a nice, drunken New Year's 'brush dipping' (otherwise known as 'dawn caligraphy').

Totally - countryside. Shrines and the like are awful at new year. I went to the biggest one in Tokyo some years back, can't remember the name. It was just not in the least bit fun.