I couldn't believe it, the Japanese police took a moment away from their koban sitting, manga reading, oocha drinking afternoon to give me a 15,000 parking ticket. I deserved it but it was just so ironic. I've complained for years about people parking their cars anywhere they wanted without police intervention. I had parked illegaly for about 5 minutes to buy some fruit at a street market only to come back to my car to find a ticket.

Has anybody else ever recieved a parking ticket in Japan?

Indosnm, really? That's kind of surprising.

secretskier, I have no idea. I honestly didn't think parking tickets were issued in Japan. A standard US parking ticket is $25. The fee didn't bother me if the police are going to start doing their job I'll be very happy about it. However, I think it was an unlucky fluke. We'll see...

My guess is they might have decided to work 1 day per month and then retreat to the confines of their kobans for the other 29-30 days.

In Hiroshima it is a 2 man fine in many cases, and I have got one for parking outside my mate's apartment in the middle of bum-fu## nowhere, and been about to get one on three other occasions in downtown Hiroshima. My mate got one for parking for 30 mins outside his own apartment on a narrow side street (with plenty of room for others to pass) at 4:30 am!!! FOUR THIRTY IN THE MORNING! It certainly isn't a rarity here in Hiroshima Kintaro. The cops are very high-profile when it comes to parking inspector cops.

A month or so ago, the system changed and the job of finding those illegally parked was sub-contacted out to a private company. Supposedly it will be more strictly enforced with this new company.

I had a parking ticket two or three years ago and I think I had to pay 20,000yen. I can't remember though - it might have been 15,000. I got three points on my licence too!

One thing with this new system is that it is now the car owner, rather than the driver, who is responsible for the offence, so if you are driving a company car and your boss tells the police that he doesn't know who was driving at the time, you (or your boss) will still have to pay the fine, but no-one will get any points.

Quote:
Originally posted by me jane:
Does anyone know a country that does have a good bus service?
Denmark got a pretty good one..
Or used to have anyways, been almost 4 years since i was there last time, and 7 since i lived there.
copenhagen-lge.jpg
Number 2 takes you straight to Christiania

Kintaro has to go to that 2 hour class next time he has to renew his license lol.gif

I hadn't even thought of that yet Thunderpants. Are parking violations counted as driving infractions in your countries? In the US it's just a monetary fee, not counted against your driving record. And I don't see why it should be. After all, I wasn't driving when I got my parking ticket.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
. My mate got one for parking for 30 mins outside his own apartment on a narrow side street (with plenty of room for others to pass) at 4:30 am!!! FOUR THIRTY IN THE MORNING!
wouldnt surprise me if it was a vindictive neighbour out to spite your mate who called the local copshop on that one, some like to play games like that here.

Got a ticket outside Davos place one Sunday in Takarazuka, never paid it as the inital infringement notice was a "please come in Monday and explain note" no monetary fine was attached with it, more of a warning perhaps it will become a fine notice. Obviously never went in as I live in Nara two prefectures away, they did send a fine in mail in the end but they never chased it up.
Weird experience.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
Are parking violations counted as driving infractions in your countries?
I don't know about Denmark, never had a drivers license there (too expensive to get. cars are also very expensive there)
But i know for a fact that you have to go thru the 2 hours of sleepy hell, sorry Brother.
My wife parked illegally in front of Kakegawa station for 10-15 minutes, got the ticket and lost her gold license, but got a free lesson at the police station.
sorry to be the carrier of bad news
 Quote:
Originally posted by snowglider:
wouldnt surprise me if it was a vindictive neighbour out to spite your mate who called the local copshop on that one, some like to play games like that here.
Well, the one I got was almost certainly because of that snowglider. I asked the cops why I'd get a ticket for parking where I did and they said that most likely someone complained. We reckon it was the prick that often parked there himself. Dunno about my mate though. He was on pretty good terms with the locals, but ya never know.