Considering snow kiting next season. But not sure whether it is worth it here, too many trees unless you do it on frozen lakes, flat snow fields and the likes... Was thinking more along the lines of BC access. But again, probably will not since I spent enough on winter gear as it is.

SerreChe, snowkiting and kitesurfing looks really great, but i was thinking of stunt kites. i've been flying sports kites for 10 years, this kind:

prism-mirage.jpg

i have had a 2 year break from it, but recently bought new sticks for my old beat up kites. I've been flying the last two weeks and had a blast.

the Germain company http://www.invento-hq.com/

produces the best kites available, if anyone is interested in flying, let's let's

there are many types of 2 and 4 line kites.

4 line kites can be controlled to fly in any direction without turning it, usually l;ooks like this

1-5m-7.jpg

The 2 line sports kites (which i know most about) comes in many different designs. Some are optimized for speed other for great pull, which many people loves. other kites are design for precise turns and low speed, these kites are used to perform "ballets" or team flying. You will be amazed what some of these teams can pull off.

The types i like best ate the ballet and trick kites. Tricks are things that defies the laws of nature. first step is to get slack on the lines, and thereafter you can make the kites spin and flip in unreal ways. there is a small video here:

http://www.invento-hq.com/ click videos,

scroll down (a long way down) to Video File: obsession2_web

you will see some nice tricks being performed there.

after been flying sports kites for some years i wanted to try kite surfing, since i am also a surfer, i thought it would be easy and fun. but i found it too difficult to learn, expensive and went against my preferences in sports: keep it simple (snowboarding being the exception).

A top sports kite can be bought for around 3 man.

cheaper kites can also go great though. and there is years of fun. it has a meditative feel to it. gives a moderate exercise, lots of fresh air and if you like kids and childish people in general you will make lots of friends. (can be avoided with the use of ipod which discourages people from talking to you).

A classic ballet and team kite, the Tramontana from HQ, now out of production

tramontana.jpg

The Passion, also from HQ also out of production

rave1.jpg

Sorry about the 2 kites above are not out of production, but i own them, and know them very well. notice how the wingtips are designed very differetnly, the trick kite seems to oversteer into turns, which helps to tilt the kite...

oh i'm nerding already

here is a real big pull

523144.jpg

In some places in Asia they attach powdered glass to parts of thir kites and have dogfights, trying to cut strings and rip up other player`s gear. That sounds fun. It sounds like a modern sort of thing to do, but it`s apparently a traditional sport.

Sadu.gif

For those kite flyers who don't want to be called 'fairy' any more.

there is one video on http://www.invento-hq.com/ with a guy using some board looking like a mountain board with foot straps.

personally i would love to get one of these:

buggy_action1_cb.jpg

But i already have enough problems fighting for my space on the beach. Jimny drivers seems to think that the beach belongs to them and everybody must move out of their way, guess a kite buggy is out of the question