G. Grungy,

I have a sneaking suspicion that it is a religious thing and just because we are white westerners we are forced since birth to carry on with the meaningless superstition.

Take 30 used condoms and compress them into a hard block, pour over tasteless white sauce. That was what my hideous fish lunch was like this Friday.

My grandparents used to have it and I remember hearing something about it having some religious meaning but can't recall what it was.

When I was home, I was at my parents house for 2 Fridays. On both, we had fish, but there was a strong denial of anything religious.

Oh one more thing, my mums fish meals are really very good. \:\)

It has to do with the bible. I can't remember the story though. It's either the last supper was on a Friday or when Jesus turned something into loaves and fish and fed the masses.

lot of good Sunday school did me lol.gif

I just baked some sardines with fresh tomatoes and olive oil for dinner, but I had completely forgotten that today is Friday and I was supposed to do it anyway. :p

I bet my grandmother would be really proud if she saw me. \:D

I usually buy fish at the local supermarket, it has relatively fresh fish. I can give you the recipe. It’s not very hard to prepare, but it takes some time to bake.

You need:

6-8 sardines

1 big onion

1 paprika

6 cloves of garlic

2 ripe tomatoes

Some parsley

1 wineglass of olive oil

1/2 of a wineglass white wine

Salt and pepper

You first have to cut the heads of the sardines and split them in half. If you have enough patience you can remove the spine too (I usually do). Put some salt on them and live them aside. Start chopping the onions and the paprika and slice the garlic. Dice the tomatoes and mince the parsley. Put the olive oil in a pot and stir fry for 2-3 minutes the onions, paprika and garlic. Add the tomatoes and parsley and stir fry them all together for 1-2 more minutes. Add the wine and take them off the fire. Put the half of the mixture in a roasting pan, then put the sardines on top and above them pour the rest of the sauce. Bake them for 45-60 minutes at 200 deg.

Good luck!

Hey, thanks for that. I don't know why I didn't think of something like it when I had better access to sardines. I don't see so many of them these days. You could put the left over heads in your girlfriends miso soup for breakfast.

Oh, just one thing though. Australian men don't mince parsley. We chop it. Ok? You got that??

\:\)

That sounds good Tsondaboy. I thought the fish Friday thing was Catholic. I had fish & chips at the pub and then takoyaki from the van outside the statiion on the way home-heart attack food. Had a good sardine spaghetti for lunch earlier in the week too.

I think it is because christians speculated that Christ was crucified on a friday and out of respect refused to eat red meat on that day.

The minesite that I am working at provides a range of fish courses every friday.

Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:
I am afraid I didnt.... shifty.gif
Is it an Aussy expression or just grammatically wrong? thumbsup.gif
Two part answer. First, mince goes through a machine, whereas chopping is done with a knife on a board.

"Mincing" is an effeminate way of walking. I guess some people are concerned or confused about their sexual orientation ;\)