Scientists in the Australian capital are looking at a new way of controlling the kangaroo population - the contraceptive pill.

Experts in Canberra said an oral contraceptive delivered via food pellets could be an efficient way of reducing numbers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5278010.stm

Are there so many of them? Are they like all over the place?

yep, they are rach. The local golf course near my parents house in the middle of Perth has resident kangas. They can't get out of the course cos it is smack in the middle of suburbia and is fence in. Anyway, they have to do regular culls because they bread pretty quickly. The biggest problem though is for farmers. They graze all over the farm lands destroying cattle feed and crops. The farmers regualrly get roo shooters in to cull them. A mate of mine actually does it for a living.

The best contraceptive pill for roos is a small copper jacketed pill called a bullet. Its quick and the end result can be utilised in a sustainable way.

Id rather eat roo than lamb or beef after seeing what our domesticated food animals suffer enroute to our dinner plates.

(I appreciate they might be causing problems to some but...) I'd love to see lots of wild kangeroos jumping about. That would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally posted by rach:
Are there so many of them? Are they like all over the place?
Just like whales, there a many species of macropods (kangaroos, wallabies, wallaroos, pademelons, quokkas, etc)

Some are near extinction, others are in plague proportions. Some reside on the plains, others in mountainous terrain, others share both.

It's the big 'Western Reds' and 'Western Greys' that are generally in plague proportions and require culling every now and then.

These buggers stand about two metres tall/100kg - so colliding with Skippy's big Bro on a road is a REAL concern - try to avoid driving on country roads between dawn and dusk.

As you can imagine, a mob of 'Roos that size, numbering 100 or more, will eat a fair volume of food, hence the need to reduce their impact on farming. (Bear in mind, farming in Oz is generally on land designated 'marginal' - low rainfall, crap soil.)

Good summary SubZero. Id like to see Aussies move away from the unhealthy and environmentally unsound specis to native food animals.

Already we can find kangaroo and even emu in the supermarkets but it is still just a niche market.

Not normally agressive. I had a curious experience with a Western Red many years ago. I was camping in a forest clearing in the SW. It was well dark, and we had a nice fire going when we heard a large animal slowly approaching. It was a full grown male. He came right up to the edge of the light, and propped there and watched us for about 5 minutes. Then he slowly made his way around the circle of light, then moved off into the dark forest. It was unreal being confronted by a 2m tall kangaroo in the half light. He was curious, and totally unconcerned.

A good friend of mine had one of his dogs (kelpie) killed by a western grey I dont remember how big it was but it picked the dog up and crushed it. The dog had bailed it up and it was simply defending itself.

Tourists often handfeed wild roos in the national parks but the roos can get stroppy if refused food or out of jealousy.

Ive a very health respect for the big greys as they often weigh more than me and could easily kick a bloke into the middle of next week.

lol.gif Memories! My dad was teasing a mid-sized western grey with a bit of food when the thing rocked back on its tail and kicked him in the guts with both feet! lol.gif lol.gif It didn't hurt him too much but we all thought it was hilarious. I've been growled at and chased a few meters by big males at the local golf course protecting their posse.