I've not been here long but some things I have noticed. Japanese tv is nuts. And some things I just don't get, like:

Why do they use cardboard signs to explain things instead of computer graphics? They just seem really strange holding them up with sticks (with hands on the end!)

Why do they cut into ads abruptly, then 2 minutes later when we go back to the program they actually repeat a whole big chunk of what was going on just a couple of minutes before.

Not seen too many Clive James moments but generally it just seems to loud. Easy to get a headache. Any programmes to recommend?

Quote:
Originally posted by newtojapan:
Why do they cut into ads abruptly, then 2 minutes later when we go back to the program they actually repeat a whole big chunk of what was going on just a couple of minutes before.
agree with the sign boards etc but the next bit about repeating... I hate to say it but they do that everywhere. I complained about it at first but watching alot of OZ & US TV recently I have noticed the same annoying thing.

Japan is different, so is the TV.
Should it be more like western TV just for the minority?

Yesterday I was watching a show where the contestants (famous people of coarse!!) had to guess who out of the 6 people riding the roller coaster were "New Halves"!!!!!! :rolleyes: eek.gif lol.gif Very bizzare, love the complete lack of "PC-ness" here!!

Farq, That's still the one thing that annoys me is that the "famous" people always play rather than the "regular people". I guess that why so many of them take it so seriously. Coz it's pay day..

Is there actually any good reason for the sign boards? They are curious.

I find it interesting that they often put subtitles even when Japanese people are speaking - clearly.

I think 2 nights ago they had the comedy duo Regular on the Gorie show and they went to LA for a shoot in a restaurant. It was actually a candid-camera setup for one of the guys in Regular. Anyways, they had a black guy hold up the place with a gun and everybody was freaking out (only the one guy was freaking out for real). Then, they duct taped his eyes shut and popped firecrackers to simulate gun shots as they simulated killing some other people in the restaurant. by now the Regular guy was shitting his pants. THen they grab him and say I'm gonna kill you - and pop a firecracker and splash his face with water. He started screaming 'I'm hit' 'I'm bleeding!'. then they took the tape off his eyes and laughed at him.

SOmetimes their practical jokes can be hilarious but simulated executions are a litte....hmmm, against Geneva conventions???

I also find it weird how Talento go on a game show and win money - for themselves! Yay! I want to watch a rich bastard win more money.

One time Ueto Aya was shooting darts for a chance to win a luxury bed. WHo cares? Just go and buy one!

In the states, regular people try to win money, or it's famous people who try to win money for charity

I saw a couple on that monday night sho land a freelander (car) for themselves and then they won a dish washing sponge for the home viewer!

Gorie and the show after can be pretty funny at times. You just have to be able to understand japanese humor.