That'd be Kashima. There's a nice bit of beach around there too.

I don't actually know exactly how long the barn-raising takes - not many Amish in Hojo, so it'll be more than a day. In total we're probably looking at early next spring.

Strong, low hanging tree branches are fewer and further between than you might imagine. This is not Norman Rockwell country.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you decide Ocean? I was thinking of getting something similar for Tarzan's b-day. I like the look of the climbing board and we have a big support beam across the middle of the living room so fitting wouldn't be a problem (a permenant chin up bar would fit there too) but I was wondering about the hard on the hands thing. Tarzan has eczema on his hands so if it's like the blocks at rock climbing gyms it might get painful after a while.

Creek boy, what ones were you talking about that don't hurt your hands?

me jane, we decided on the land and bought it last Thursday. Since I've been hacking at the sasa and thorn bushes all weekend with a scythe, my hands are so blistered that I'd probably burst into tears if asked to do pull-ups.

I also went to Alpen where, to my surprise, I was told with maximum efficiency that I could either order a flimsy-looking stand-alone thing that would topple over very easily (looked like a clothes horse), or not do any chin-ups care of Alpen.

So no decision, other than to see what the architects comes up with in the way of a built-in bar.

As for eczema, I'm told that wild boar fat is very efficacious indeed, but you have to know a gentleman hunter to 'get your hands on' some. A nice wooden climbing block would probably be fairly easy on the hands.

Congrats, on your purchase. I wish I could have been there to help you out in bushes. I remember working for a short time at an apple farm in Essex during my school days. I really enjoyed that.