Freegans

I used to have a part time job in the food section of Boots. They chucked out all the ready made sandwiches and stuff at the end of the day. When I asked why we couldn't give it to homeless shelters the manager told me it was because of food laws i.e the food was only licenced to be distributed until 6pm on a certain day. So if anyone got food poisoning eating food provided/sold after that time the company would be liable. Mad.

Quote:
more than 30 percent of the 17 million tonnes of waste that goes to landfill in Britain is food waste
That sure is a lot. Could you not take some home yourself?

Thanks for the read me jane.

a group of people in my course did a short documentary on a guy in montreal who got all of his food for the week in a single middle-of-the-night trip to grocery store dumpsters.

really interesting topic.

Quote:
Originally posted by LiquidX:
Could you not take some home yourself?
No, I asked about that too. Same reason as why we couldn't give it to the homeless.

It is disgusting the amount of waste that goes on. A friend of mine works at a big hotel in Tokyo and says that the mountain of wasted untouched food that is left over after an enkai almost wants to make her cry. And it happens daily.

Actually, i was consitering doing a little "freeganing" on my bike trip from Nagano to Kyoto. I also know a japanese who does it a little in Tokyo (someone who isn't homeless, that is).

Count me in on the people disgusted with how much we waste. I am still in the process of reducing my own. Its funny how much we are taught to waste.