Just finished watching a video called Food is medicine on the weekend and it inspired me enough to go to the local health food store and drop 8000yen on various products. Anyone else into health food. I got some Green Magma (barley leaf powder), some blueberry jam and some non-homo milk. The interesting thing is that I am allergic to milk but after hearing that homogenizing or pasteurizing milk kills lots of useful enzymes and actually causes allergies I thought I'd try it. So yesterday I had my first glass of milk in 13 years! No reaction! I only had a little and I am still just testing it out but I am pretty excited. I found this article on raw milk:

http://www.karlloren.com/aajonus/p19.htm

Also saw somewhere else that drinking raw milk would help kids with excema (the nasty skin problems you see at school). Hmmm, I may even suggest it to those kids. Can't hurt to try

Most health food shops here are ridiculously overpriced. The food market around the corner from my place sells organic produce and is slightly cheaper so I go there instead. I mainly buy my meat there because it's hormone and antibiotic free.

the non-homo milk i just got is also non-gm. try it out cb. the only difference really is that raw milk isn't always perfect white and also you sometimes get clumps of cream which separates easier from the milk.

A simple rule to follow in regards to healthy foods is the less human intervention the better.

Fruit, vegies and meat/fish. Cook without using too much oil and make your own sauces so you know whats in them. Its about what you eat most of the time not some of the time. Too much emphasis is put on suplements and certain food groups or specific items eg barley leaf powder. Just eat a balanced diet and keep portions at a reasonable size.

the vid i watched said to cook with either lard, butter or coconut oil. the rest of the oils aren't good for you when heated. virgin oil is good for you on food but not for cooking.

I agree that eating at mcdonald's and then drinking barley leaf pow won't help you that much. However, along with a balance diet the barley leaf will make you feel even better. I find it gives energy thumbsup.gif

You do understand that lard is another name for pig fat. I am not sure of the health benefits of eating pig fat especially if you have cholestrol issues. There are many myths about food. As long as you are aware of the things that you are eating most of the time then that is a good thing. Moderation is the key. There was a recent study that said that there is not much difference in the things that we eat as far as the health benefits(one study of many). Obviously not talking about obesity. I find that actually writing down the effects of different substances that you are putting in your body be it barley leaf, coffee, vitamin pills over a period of time will give you a truer indication of what things are doing to you. Remember everyone is different and will have different results. For me I can't go past a bit of dried tiger penis and bear paw mixed with eye of gnat. ;\)

I spent all day today reading up on raw milk. just google it and you'll find a bunch of big sites on it. It is an interesting read. I'll just see how it goes for me.

Yes, I do realize lard is pig fat. I don't know enough to argue for or against it but say you're cooking bacon, you can just throw that in the fry pan and it will cook in it's own fat. That seems better than adding cooking oil.

Haven't seen any sites advertising the dried tiger penis but it doesn't seem too appealing lol.gif

I do agree with everything you're saying TJ thumbsup.gif

I come from a dairy and beef farm back home in the UK. We @asturise, bottle, cream and harmogenise all our own milk. When I was growing up we used to sell what was called Green Top or Non Pasterurised or harmogenised milk, basically fresh from the cows udder. However this is now illegal to sell due to the kind of bacteria that could be found in it. I have drank the stuff for a good 25 years and never had any problems!! It is a LOT creamier but to me tastes the way milk should taste.

yeah, it is anti-organic. article titles like `Food doesn't have to be organic to be safe' etc

pretty scary stuff!

quote:

Yet, certain misleading marketing practices by some in the dairy industry designed to increase sales of niche products are creating false fears and driving people away from affordable, nutritious dairy products.

I just know that I can't drink homogenized milk but non homogenized is just fine thumbsup.gif