What do people do when someone who is patently incapable of doing a particular route asks to tag along? I'm not talking about someone who's trying to push themselves to the next level, or when you offer to take a beginner along to give them a few tips.

I mean when someone who skied for two hours on a bunny slope 3 years ago wants to follow you down tight off piste terrain where taking the wrong line can mean (at best) slogging through waist deep snow for an hour, and at worst means rescue crews having to be sent out to hunt for you.

You can tell them that its beyond their ability, and you're not prepared to wait around for them, but what happens when they still decide to go? You know that getting lost is not just a probability, but virtually guaranteeed if they're on their own. At what point do you go, 'not my problem if they really screw themselves up'?

Take them somewhere where they will get stuck good but will only take them 30 mins or so to get out of. That way, when they are broken and destroyed after 30 mins wollowing in the pow you can say, it took you that long to climb 20 metres, where I'm going it would take you days, do you still want to come?

you've got to be honest with mates on the ski slopes & try to prevent them skiing outside of their ability.Its in their best interests - your life in you hands out there in the off-piste!

so send him/her back to the bunny hill to get more lessons, & meet them for lunch. once they're comfortable riding anything within the resort boundaries (ie. after 2-3 weeks of riding), then consider taking them on your off-piste adventures - until then, they are too big a liability. if they are not adult enough to understand this, they shouldnt be skiing at all.

Jared

I actually tried that. I knew this person would follow me whatever I said, so I took him just off the gelende and did some easy trees. He fell literally every 5 metres and took forever to get up each time.

After 50 metres of this (and frozen toes on my part), I took him back to the gelende and told him to go down that because the rest of the off piste was far worse. I took off through the trees, met up with friends, had a lazy lunch, and headed back to the lifts. Ran into the guy later and asked him how the practice runs had been going on the gelende. He said he didn't know because he had decided to follow my tracks down the hill, and had only just got down. :rolleyes: