My wifes Dad just shelled out for a new gravestone for the family. It cost 1,200,000yen.

Thats right, ONE MILLION TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND YEN!!!

For a stone!!!

How on earth can they justify that price for something that is probably worth, at a very generous estimate, 20000yen in raw materials?

I thought car mechanics were rip off merchants but funeral directors really take the biscuit. I find that business so despicable, why isnt it run by the government and done at reasonable prices? Losing you mum or something is bad enough without then being immediately mugged by those bandits. And they are the same everywhere, Japan, UK, and in Russia I heard its run by the mafia and the 4th most profitable business behind drugs, prostitution and the arms trade.

When I go I want to be just cremated next to the river like they do at the ghats by the Ganges in Varanasi, India. Actually some south asians in the UK are trying to get the local councils to let them do this, but I cant see it ever happening.

must be an awfully nice piece of granite for 1.2 mil.

My Geol professor told us once he had already lined up a sublime chunk of granite lined up for his future gravestone.....knowing him his is probably selling pieces of the same outcrop for 1.2mil! wink1.gif

Graves are superfluous to the purpose they serve.

When my Grandparents passed away, they wanted their cremated ashes to put in the same grave as my grandmother's parents grave (the concrete top was movable) no extra inscription or plaque, very inconspicous and known only to those who care.

Wise, considerate and pragmatic right to the end.

I agree Bobby 12, undertakers and funeral directors are a major ripoff.

One lady I know who manages a funeral home drives a sweet Benz, has a gold rolex and a swag of diamond jewellery; shes doing alright!

Dead easy way to make money (pun intended)

I don't need or want a tombstone. I hope what I do while living is sufficient enough that I don't need a little marker to state that "hey, the dead guy is hear!" What I want when I die it to be burnt and have my ashes thrown into Waimea Bay (hopefully during the Triple Crown).

Why during the triple crown Kintaro?

1. It's not even at waimea

2. that would be kind of like saying to a large crowd "look, dead guy HERE!" ;\)

If you really want to I could get a mate who has won the eddie to paddle you out..

Death is the same as births, way over priced but it happens to almost everyone.

I remeber seeing a TV show about a gaijin who started a funeral biz in japan and is now killing it.

Indo, cuz Waimea's one of my favorite places, the TC is one of my favorite times of the year and it would not be made public, just throw my dust off a jet ski or something and I'd be happy.

I can understand Waimea as a choice (although I'm yet to get there). Hey, I have thought that i'd like my ashes tipped out somewhere in Indo for the same reason, but at the same time I would also like something probably close to where I/my family lives so that I could be visited every now and then!

they should make a burning ghat next to the thames. the thames is more polluted than even the ganges so i dont see any problem in terms of pollution. and it would reflect multicultural london. that would be my 'dream' choice for a way to be disposed of.