Just wondering if anyone out there could tell me what's available around Niseko (or Hokkaido in general) in terms of WW kayaking. Is there more creeking than freestyle? How long does the snowmelt last? Where's the good stuff situated? Can I buy a boat in Japan or would I be best flying my own out?

Also, is there anyone out there interested in another paddling chum to share fuel costs / beer with? I'll be living and working in Niseko from March 26th til October. I'm a better creek boater than free-styler but as long as I'm on the water I'm happy! Any help is appreciated!!

Cheers, Dan

The best water is in shikoku mate after the water stops melting hokkaido has not much really. how much does it cost to ship a boat here and how big are you.

best creek spots are in and around honshus north and south alps, or shikoku.

Damn, I'd heard some great things about Hoikkado too, not to worry.

Non of the shipping companys have quoted me less than £500. It's looking more likely that I'll just buy one when I'm out there.

My size? I'm a big 'ol rugby player weighing in at 95kgs and 185cm (please tell me they don't just stock little boats) but it's my big feet that cause most trouble with boats, so I'll be looking for something on the larger size.

Does anyone know what brand boats are available and rough prices?

Cheers, Dan

Boats are about 50000 to 100000 used. good creek boats are hard to find, this is a play boating country. You will be limited in choice due to your size.

Hokkaido doesnt have much mate in the way of big water the level 5 stuff is gunma, toyama, gifu and shikoku. if it rains hard enough hiroshima has some creeks. It doesnt rain much in hokkaido after may.

Or apply to a raft company in shikoku after hokkaido dies down. In Shikoku you will actually have a chance of your boat flipping in more than one spot.

Takken Club

Mont Bell

RAC

Those are some names to look for. Takken club offers their guides bliss stick boats to use when they arent guiding. Do a little search for shikoku kayaking , koboke and oboke gourge.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
Yeeeha! Tubing! Remember Taz going over that rapid with beer in hand totally unscathed CB? lol.gif The rest of us had been dumped on our arses going through it! lol.gif
I lost my favorite pair of sunnies that day mad.gif Course I remember....remeber how F'ed up we all got lol.gif \:D

Loved the looks we got from the fishermen lol.gif
lol.gif Yeah you bitch about losing those sunnies every time we go back there! lol.gif Good times eh! Ft, it aint exactly "watersports" Unless you aare counting trying to paddle over to the bloke who has the beers as a sport...