Yes, they are on the same mountain and if you take the lifts right to the top you can cross over from one ski area to another. Each of the ski areas has its own lift pass and you can pay a little extra and get what they call a "free passport" which gives you access to all three areas.

If you have to choose only one, I would recommend Hirafu.

Markie,

Hirafu is good but it gets tracked out pretty quickly. I often went over to Higashiyama last season and skiied the "limited 1,2,and 3 courses" Right under the gondola is great and people over there are less likely to head off piste. But, for terrain, Hirafu is tops.

Well done guys, a million thanks for this useful tips and as i am so lucky enough to login to this web site, no otherewise - is going to be hard for me to get through these awful stupid mind. So from now on, i can be relax and keep looking forwards this lovely ski holiday. Oh... one more thing, if there is any more information about Hirafu or Higashiyama..., that i will be much appreicated that... xxx

Ooops, if you are in HK you can email me your phone no. and I can give you a call and tell you what you want to know. I also have a lot of maps, pamphlets and other information about Niseko, Hokkaido, snow etc...

I bought free passport on first day. It was 5000yen include 800yen food ticket. We skied all around and I decided to buy only Higashiyama ticket next day(because we had to leave Niseko around 2pm). I liked the top of the Hirafu last year, but I didn't like there this time. There were many school kids all area at the bottom while I was there. Snow condition was almost same except Hanazono area.