Upgrading VISA for British citizen

Hello there,

Please could anyone help me on this question:

Can a British citizen upgrade their visa from tourist to working visa, with or without leaving Japan?

I am about to come to take up a teaching position in Nagano, and it is too late to get a working visa before leaving, but the school/agency think it is no problem to come on a tourist visa and upgrade (with a begging letter asking not to have to leave Japan), but another school told me that only Canadian/Oz citizens can do this, and not British???

Anyone got any experience of this?

Thanks!

ps. looking forward to (re)joining the snow community in Japan...

I would think as long as you have a sponsor (job)

that you would be able to get the visa. I had an American friend do just that with a fake BA that a friend of his made. The school just took care of it. They were some shady ass characters though, I worked at the same school for like a week.

Since the school said it could be done, they would prolly take care of it.

I heard that you can't just leave for a day and come back anymore.

I heard that you have to leave for like 3 mths. or so, but I don't know if that's true. Hopefully you won't have to worry about it.

Thanks.

They said it was not a problem, and they seem a good (reputable) company, so I've gone ahead and accepted their offer, and now about to turn down the other one in Mizusawa, Iwate.

Nagano here I come.... I hope!

Thanks, Andy