What is with the 入賞(nyuushou) that the Japanese TV goes on about as in 8位入賞.

I only thought they gave out medals at the Olympics, but do you get a certificate or something for coming 8th?

Or is it like the assists they call in soccer that in any other country is called pass?

To quote somewhere else:

ASSIST:

Refers to a pass that results in a goal (e.g., "He had 2 assists in the game"). It is very important to encourage assists. One way to do so is by congratulating the player who made the assist in front of the team. Also, the player who scored the goal should always thank his teammate who made the assist. Teach your players to do this & ask the scorer if he thanked his teammate for the assist.

I think the idea of "assists" is coming from US sports like ice hockey. Its because Americans like to statistically analyze all their sports and list players in little tables instead of just arguing about it over a pint. American football in particular is suited to it with one yard lines all over the pitch. Throwing all kinds of stats on the screen is also another way for broadcasters to keep people interested.

While its good to appreciate "door openers" in football, the sport is really not suited to that kind of analysis. When he's on form, punting the ball in Henry's general direction will lead to a goal. Makalele does loads more for Chelsea than Duff or Robben, but I doubt he gets many assists.

Quote:
Originally posted by misorano:
To get back on track, why do Japanese count coming 8th or better as some sort of prize?
Miso, can not find the clear answer yet.
But when I google, this below comes out.

What about some golf tournaments? I guess more players can get some prizes not only 8.

Thanks Gams,

I knew you'd come to the rescue.

We were brought up on gold, silver bronze only.

I suppose it's Japan's way of saying, "Hey, we didn't win a medal but we ganbarimashita"

Golf prize money goes way down to 20th or so I think.

Quote:
Originally posted by misorano:
I suppose it's Japan's way of saying, "Hey, we didn't win a medal but we ganbarimashita"
Very much so, I guess.
I think perhaps I can say we are somehow still on samurai spirits. Result is important, BUT process is also. There's some generousity there all the time.
BTW miso, in that sentence,
We = subject
ganbarimashita = verb? lol
Funny when some English and Japanese words are used in mixture.
;\)