Yeah, this kind of thing is a good old head shaker. You have to look at the reasoning with different eyes. It isn't the upfront quality or subject of the work that is valued, obviously not. It is the place in the evolution of art history that is valued. Art is vital, it gives us perspective of the world around us in at any point in time. Art has and will continue to move from phase to phase and significant artists that represent what each phase was about will always have value. I don't value a blue rectangular blob more than a few bucks. But in the art world it is a chapter of history. One of the biggest moments in my adult life was when I suddenly found that I could instinctively appreciate art for what it is and for my own benefit, and independently of other self proclaimed 'arty people' who believe that art is an exclusive domain of their own and sneer at outsiders who try and gain something from art. Screw them. I have learnt more about myself through visiting art galleries than through any interpersonal interaction. That has been London's one gift to me. It is like learning a new language and is quite a private thing. Turn off the telly and go to a gallery!

Consider the iPod. It is worth $200. But what is it worth as a representation of modern culture, what perspective does it give into us today? What perspective does the Sears building give about that point in time. How about the Mona Lisa or iron age beer glasses ? Or the magnetic compass... the perspective that gave into the community, science and religious standards of the time?

Art, as an output of the creative process of invention and design, is more valuable to us as a race than just about anything else. And somewhere in that the blue blobs of the world have a value.

> I don't value a blue rectangular blob more than a few bucks. But in the art world it is a chapter of history.

However, that particular chapter would be rewritten if people stopped paying more than a few bob for Blue Blocks .

(Technically speaking, that is a 'block' rather than a 'blob'.)

Quote:
One of the biggest moments in my adult life was when I suddenly found that I could instinctively appreciate art for what it is and for my own benefit
When was that moment spud man?
 Quote:
Originally posted by frannyo:
 Quote:
One of the biggest moments in my adult life was when I suddenly found that I could instinctively appreciate art for what it is and for my own benefit
When was that moment spud man?
Dunno dude, some time in the last 2 years I suppose. I guess you didn't ask for the long answer.... but here goes anyway. It came from living in one or two different places in the world, thats for sure. Also from being exposed to different people and opinions, even people who think they are artistic but are responsible for no creative output at all, more over, they destroy creative appreciation in those people who they deem to be lesser artistic enlightenment. Encountering such people made me sit up and think about what it was all about. They taught me to rid my life of people who judge me for how I interact with the outside world. These poisonous people judge an individual based on the relative quality of that individuals experience of something. For example, two people encounter a piece of art, or something in the natural world, or even a piece of information: Person A will immediately assume their experience of this thing is superior to Person B's experience. This worried me a lot (and still does) but I grew as a result of the experience. I think the moment of awakening* was when I went to an Edward Hopper exhibition, a public event open to millions of visitors over several months and advertised in train stations... nothing 'cool' about it. I wandered around the museum all day alone and came out better than when I went in. I knew way more about myself. It was like his paintings spoke a language that I didn't know I could speak, and only that language was (is) capable of saying what I often feel**. I have immense and humble respect for people with this ability and offer them genuine thanks for helping me achieve a perspective/awareness that, without their art, would be lost to me, or at the best, a long time in the coming. Perhaps the Blue Block has a similar meaning for someone else out there.... or perhaps it was just an art speculator getting carried away on the bid to show off to his coked-up NYC art friends.

* sounds far more dramatic than intended.
** people are often understandably moved by certain musical artists due to their unqiue ability to do this. And look how much their art is $ valued