Boonie. Still one of the best known Aussie cricketers even after being retired for 10 years! That's what drinking 52 cans of beer on a flight from Sydney to London will do for your standing in Oz. Bloody legend!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record: A grown adult sportsman drinks 52 beers on a public long haul flight and he is regarded as a legend? My [most likely predictable] opinion is that he is a deadshit moron disgrace to the country. I am prepared to bet that most nations and cultures would share that view. In fact, any thinking person would hold a similar opinion of that kind of behaviour.

Haha! Of course you are right there _spud! But Boonie, despite his beer antics, was a legend on the cricket field. Don't like cricket, sport, or all it represents and brings out (nationalism/patriotism/whatever), then fine, you'll get no argument from me. But Boonie was a legend in the cricketing world. I recall him taking an absolute hammering from the West Indies in their prime, and refusing to flinch or react lol.gif

Juvenile male attitude _spud? Maybe, but still brilliant! He had bruises all over him after that encounter but sport being all about competition, he refused to give them even the smallest bit of satisfaction. Not to mention that he was not shaped like a "modern athlete", but was still a brilliant batsman despite the gut.

I actually didn't mind him for his character at all. I Just don't rate him above zero for his drinking antics and the status is earned him in Anglo-Australian culture.

Actually, take two badly behaved Australian sportsman and Boonie wins hands down. At least he had obvious and unique personal 'charisma' (for want of a better word).

Boonie vs Warne. A no brainier.

Boonie and David Foster were both pretty decent Tasmanians. And I agree, way better than the classic athletics geek! clap.gif

Yeah, Boonie for PM over Warnie any day. It was interesting seeing the kids, who wouldn't be old enough to remember Boonie, at the Adelaide Oval a few days ago (on TV, I wasn't there) all dressed up like Boonie with fake Boonie mos, and banners about him. His legend lives on.

spud. I've played cricket all my life(even in Japan would you believe!) and you're the first person I've ever heard say he's a disgrace to the country. I say you're a disgrace by saying such a thing about a cricketer who I respect immensely, who put his body on the line for years to represent my country. Have ever played cricket in a team? Obviously you haven't because you would know the culture of cricket and enjoying a beer. I believe the main reason his drinking effort is regarded so highly is because it reminds us what cricket used to be like in the olds days as opposed to the fitness and dietry(Warney excluded) regimes of todays players.

Hi Mudguts. No, I have never played cricket, never watch, don't like it and don't even know the captain of the Australian team (or any other sport far that matter). I have no idea about his skill at the game and nor is that important. He is a disgrace to the country for drinking like a neanderthal on a public flight when he was a well known Australian representative. Most typical Australian males share your view when they learn of my opinion.

I gladly take the label of an un-Australia disgrace to the country for my opinions of a sportsmans 'legendary' bad behaviour, particularly when it glorifies chronically excessive consumption of alcohol, something that is sadly seen as an Australian cultural attribute. Even the English generally recognise the shortcoming in such a 'cultural attribute'.

But seriously, I am sorry if I offended your love of the game which you have been committed to and understand that you are defensive of it, as would I be about my passions. Different people have different passions in life, no problems there, however at the risk of repeating myself: a man who is a family name in Australia should not be carried off a long haul flight for having drunk 52 beers. Australia's choice-less dependency on sportsmen for 'legends' is already worry (ala Bradman-mania) but to iconify a beer swilling yob is to take the case too far. And an Australian beer company is irresponsible for using as a marketing figure a person who is famous for drinking a massively dangerous amount of alcohol.

There are plenty of Australian people who share this view. We are generally referred to as the minority and derided by the majority. A typical scenario.

I agree with spud. I mean, does drinking 52 beers on a flight really make someone a hero? In my opinion it makes you a sad alcoholic.

Having said that, I think I'd rather sit next to Boonie on a plane than some of those sleazy NRL players.

I understand your point of view spud and 52 cans to a typical person would probably be fatal. Boonie at the time had a fair degree of "match fitness" in regards to drinking beer so he lived but was assisted off his flight. We have different passions as you said and cricket is certainly mine and Boonie is one of my all time favorites of my favourite sport so I'm always going to defend him and his actions. To some people his actions are considered stupid but to a large majority his efforts both on and off the field, coupled with his athletic build are what makes him still so unique and popular to your typical Australian. He has that larrikan streak that some may Aussies identify to. So as I crack the top off a coldy.....Here's to Boonie! Bloody Legend!

It is funny what we idolize in this world. As a kiwi I personally had and still have little time for the "five foot two Tasmanian with flared pants"

Lad, yobs, boys, louts et al would think 52 beers is legendary stuff indeed worthy of placing him on a pedastal. Personally if I were the coach of that team I would have put him immediately back on the plane to Australia.

Would he be so passionately revered if he had gotten a dozen different blow jobs in the toilets of the plane? actually he probably would be.

For the record spud, the current Captain of Australia is whining poor sport also with a history of alcohol problems.

Before this gets too vociferous and the vitriol starts flowing I would like to say I dont despise all Australian cricketers. I respected Simon O'Donnell, Dean Jones, Craig McDermott, Greg Matthews, Dennis Lillee, heck I liked Merv Hughes he was a real character.

You forgot to mention Chapelli Snowglider? lol.gif

Ponting certainly does have a history of alcohol abuse. But, he faced it publicly and has done a great job at keeping himself out of that kind of trouble since becoming captain. Can you fault him for that? Now, I have heard many people whinge about the sportsmanship of many current Aussie players, and while some deserve it, can you give me an example for ponting?

snowglider. At least Punter has never been busted smoking weed on the beach in Jamaica like the Kiwi captain Fleming and Cairns were a few years back. Maybe that's why Flemmo never whinges?

I hear a lot of kiwis getting all ruffled about the lack of sportsman-like behaviour in the Aussie team. And I am sick of it! :p Let go of the under-arm incident! IT happened many moons past! Although, I'll admit that the Aussie ploy to go slow in the world cup in the sub-continent, aimed at knocking the kiwis out, was dubious at best. But then teams are there to win. It isn't amateur cricket with nothing more than a beer riding on the game anymore. Good point there too Mudguts!

BTW Spud, interesting to note your own attitudes toward alcohol in light of the comments you made about Boonie being a disgrace. Your comment on the best girlfriend thread would put you right up there next to him would it not?? ;\)

He had some big whines during the Ashes tour last summer

At Trent Bridge, Ponting lost his cool spraying abuse liberally, he headed straight into a hearing with the match referee.

our national captain in Ricky Ponting then had a really good whinge, saying it wasn't fair – wasn't, wasn't, wasn't! – that England brought on a bloke who was such a good fielder.

that one from outspoken Aussie journo Peter Fitzsimmons.

As far as Parore Cairns and Fleming go, it was in SA they were caught with weed and its generally not as idolised as Boonies 52. They apologised took their punishment and moved on.

I dont remember them whining about it.

I think it's unrealistic to expect sportspeople to be perfect. Having said that, I think that if you represent your country in a sport, and are being paid handsomely to do so, you should refrain from acting like a bogan pisshead while on tour.