First time posters and the search button

• SnowJapan Moderator

me jane - just to get slightly technical about the setup of things here, the Search button is actually just a text link and we can't change that.

What we could do is perhaps put another link somewhere (either at the top of the forum page or the bottom of the pages) with a new link to search.

The reality of the situation though is that even if we had a massive search button, it really might not make much difference.

You're probably right. Lots of people just don't bother but the search link is kind of small... ;\)

The flashing lights idea made me laugh - I had visions of something similar to my neighbour's house where Christmas trees & snowmen go mental all night.

not an urgent issue, but I know with the forum on my website I can change anything, buttons, colours, shapes, the total look, basically anything I want. the forum that we use here seems to be based on older software, is it possible at some stage to upgrade to something like phpBB? I'm not sure about moving messages across from the old system to the new system but I just looked on their forum and it seems that there is a converter from UBB clasic.

when you get the time a board upgrade would be nice, it just seems there are some simple things that this board can't do (like change/add buttons)

I personally like phpBB and it's free

I think this situation is the same on all forums unfortunately.

Hi I am a n00b, can anyone tell if _________ is good.......

Just part of the parcel! But searching is good though sometimes you don't always get the results you are looking for!

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
do first time posters bother you mejane?
No (unless they ask really obvious questions :rolleyes: ) but I was just thinking that the search link is pretty small so a lot of people who are not used to the site might miss it.

Yeah I know what you mean, but lately I have noticed a fair bit of hostility on many forums towards people with lower post counts.

not on this site so much but on other forums such as say K-1 forums you get all these internet geeks (half pre pubes) with massive post counts that are self claimed "experts" and have never thrown a punch in their life, and then get all high and mighty on people with lower post counts..... really shits me.

That's true and I don't like that either. I don't post hostile stuff or agree with scaring away new posters. There are lots of forums full of childish and unhelpful posters and I have no interest in them. I think in general there is a good balance on the SJ forums.

You come across this kind of elitist behavior everywhere. Is it any different to all the people on here who claimed they had more rights to win the Hakuba 3man yen pass because they would use it more or surfers who think they own the waves because they're local?

True, there isn't hardly any BS here which is why I like these forums. Some heat discussions, but nothing that a few beers wouldn't fix!

I wouldn't put the surfers example in the same sentance as the Hakuba thingo though... Only a surfer knows the feeling i guess!