Saw The Pixies at Zepp Tokyo last Monday. They rocked! Everyone I talked to after the gig was well stoked. They played all the hits plus many more. Frank Black is absolutely huge! The guys been eating for the last 12 years

The Mode in New York were really great. (Surprise!) Perhaps the setlist was a little predictable, but that is quite predictable in itself!

Great time all round though, loved New York.

Quote:
Originally posted by Goemon:
_Spud: Let's have a full report on the camping weekend (with pics).
No camera was taken, so no pics!

We didn't camp as the entire event was held at a strange (really strange) holiday camp venue during its off-season. I was there as a group of 4 and we had our own little apartment. Picture row after row of 3 story Japanese suburban apartments, the ones that look exactly the same and have a number on the end and walkway balconies along the exterior. Well the 'holiday camp' was a hug sprawling collection of them. It was without doubt the ugliest saddest holiday related thing I have ever seen. It was more like a university dorm crossed with a run down prison. It saddens me that some members of the British public take their annual summer holidays there. Its even on the "beach" and in combination with the related caravan park, can accomodate something like 5,000 happy English summer holiday makers. As an Australian it is hard to understand that type of lifestyle. Anyway, the place was called Pontins Holiday Camp at Camber Sands near Rye (a pretty area). The accommodation was perfect for the event though. We all met up and checked into our little apartment and promptly turnd on the heaters cooked food talked 100 miles and hours, got pissed, and stuff. Then walked 150 meters and we were in the venue, music blasting.

The concert area was perfect. Quite big, messy and basic. It was indoors and stinking hot, kind of like a big university concert hall that you saw Painters and Dockers play in (well, none of you probably every did, and it was your loss).

Volta played for almost 3 hours. It was a three day event but they were the only act that I saw (very late arrival, crap acts followed them and no interest the next day in boozing it up). When Mars Volta played, they played. No messing about, no long lingering 'solos', nothing but rock. I loved it and was lucky enough to fell that moving emotion that you get when you experience the output of incredibly creative minds. I was lost for words and stoked at how some people can do so much. It makes me very motivated and happy envious at the same time. These guys really are almost legends.

The music kicked right off and went pretty hard. Most songs came from either De-Loused or Frances. **** me, that Cedric guy can sing! Him and the drummer are the cat's pyjamas. I think there should have been more time given over to vocals, he is too good to be on stage silent. My memory of the night is fuzzy, but the ending of the set was pretty climactic and I remember looking through the crowd at my mate (a rat bag and a drummer) and his jaw was on the floor. Right after the music stopped and they walked of (not to return) I walked over to him and we were almost speechless. He claimed it was the best gig he had ever been to, but I think he was just over excited. I wish I could remember more 'cause I got such a buzz from it. Like a drug that you want to do again.

After the set finished we all went downstairs to see some dj's and live acts. The venue and crowd was anti-climactic after Volta so we retired to the shock of our lives: a massive games area with UFO claw grabber machines and air hockey etc. It was pain to the eye and the soul. Most people felt it: the general surrounds of the venue (gross) just didn't suit the amp of the artist. My mate won two teddy bears with the grabbing claw thing. We spoke to a Norwegian guy who has seen them play 6 times and he said it was not his favourite set he has seen.

The next day some bands were on but we had hangovers and so just sat around our nice little concert apartment and watched the in-house tv channel which was programmed by The Mars Volta. I had a beer and watched The Birthday Party (1980's Nick Cave) followed by Black Flag (same era, Henry Rollins, of course!) Both made me cringe at the memory of my university days when I thought that stuff was actually good. Had another beer.

And that was that.

bar local toronto bands, the last [international] band ive seen live was death cab. they played in a huge venue, reminiscent of a giant tin can which was a bit of a lenny letdown. the last time i saw them they played for a couple hundred of people.

i also saw the morning after girls as per my friends advisory. they were awesome. if you are in australia you should check them out.

Quote:
Originally posted by Goemon:
Thanks for the report! Did Cedric open his eyes during the 3 hours? When I saw them here he kept them shut for the entire show.
I scour the internet looking for a review to copy and paste and all you can respond with is two lines ;\)

My eyesight is not good enough these days to see if his eyes were open. Towards the end of the set I put on my spectacles so I could see as much as possible (which was a lot more). I was told I loked like a geek, and my glasses fogged up. I didn't notice that his were shut, nor notice if they were open. At one stage he was just standing there with the mic stand clenched between his teeth which must have been heavy. He was also throwing the thing around a lot so must have had his eyes open to catch it. I was amazed by the sounds that he could sing, even with the mic 1 foot from his mouth he was belting out some of the strongest sharpest vocals. Puts Robert Plant in a new perspective.

And there were two drummers! It was intense at times and so good.

I tell you, if I could see them once every month I would go. I think they turn more on inside me than any other band or even style of music.

Eyes closed on wikipedia
MARS_VOLTA3.jpg