Oh Jesus Christ!

HAVE YOU READ THE GODDAMN STICKY AT THE TOP OF THE FORUM?

We've already covered Little Creatures Pale Ale EXHAUSTIVELY.

(I think Dims had something to say about it. Either he liked it, or he didn't like it, or he thought it was OK.)

Quote:
Originally posted by fb_steve:
I drink it when i can afford it! Its a nice drink, but seems imported beer has dropped in price recently ive stopped
What's it cost in Vicco steve?
Same as Coopers?

Never even heard of that beer before, perhaps been out of teh country for too long.

Typical Australian beer is remarkably like Japanese beer: factory beer tasting amber bubbly stuff that is best consumed very cold as it offers little more qualities other than refreshment. UK and some American folk that have a history of drinking ales will really dislike Oz beer (viz Miteyak). Rather than being a flavoursome ale drinker, I am a pils fan and so can usually drink most factory style beers so long as they are clean and crisp and contain no chemicals.

As for cheap imported beers: don't be fooled into parting with your cash for a drop of perceived quality. Most European beers are simply Euro equivalents of Bud and Miller and other such crap. Stella, Carlsberg etc are not flash beers, they are c-grade factory lager products from Europe. You are better off drinking local VB.

I forgot the winkey smiley... to compliment my definition of good beer!

On visiting my local home brew supply outlet, I was impressed with the obvious love Aussie beer affectionados have for their local brews, and so concede that your standard Aussie beers must have some redeeming features that I just don't get.

James Squire is more than good, I'd go as far as to say it's one of, if not THE best bottled ale i've ever tried. Brewed in NSW by the Malt Shovel Brewery

nah, most Australian beer is pretty standard drinking liquid with Fosters at the tops of the piss list. That James Squire is a tasty beer though.

I got butterflies when I read you have been to the local home brew shop. I used to live near where you do now had three home brew barrels on the go at one time with an almost constant inventory of 100 x 750ml bottles in my garage. My joint was he second busiest place after the university bar. I made a very good pilsner.

> I'm trying desperately hard to curb my excessive drinking habits

Me too. I have pretty much everything else in my life under reasonable control. But I feel so stupid waking up nearly every Saturday with a need for aspirin.

>>and I know that a garage full of ale would be quite the nail in the coffin...

But it doesn't give you a hangover and is extremely satisfying to drink....

James Squire: seems they not only make a good ale but know exactly how to pour one as well ;\) . A perfect head designed to bring out the best qualities in the beer.

brews_ale-big.jpg

Absolutely... non of this one-third head crap :p

Unfortunately, they seem to be discontinuing the Strong Ale and the Original lines. Seems like the Aussies really don't have a taste for traditional ale.

No, most Australians do not have a taste for traditional ales. I can only handle a few myself and prefer to have one when I am eating a good meal like lamb shank rather than drinking them for the sake of drinking.

As for head - I have to ask for a head like that one on my ales in most London pubs. I had a Speckled Hen recently and a flatter more headless beer I have never seen. I stirred it with my finger and it didn't do a thing. Adnams Broadside is my standard local beer these days, it comes out of the hand pump thing all frothy and milkshake looking as it overflows the glass. You see it and you want to drink it.

Poor Miteyak, cant enjoy a drink anymore ;\)

(and Ocean sounds like a sarary man)

I'm hoping the ale will reappear next winter.

As for poor me... the wine more than makes up for the lack of beer... and stops me looking like the average Aussie my age! cool.gif

(Although here in Tassie, I must admit the men seem a little slimmer 'n trimmer than the mainland).

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
 Quote:
Originally posted by fb_steve:
I drink it when i can afford it! Its a nice drink, but seems imported beer has dropped in price recently ive stopped
What's it cost in Vicco steve?
Same as Coopers?
Last time i checked it was b/w $17-$19 bucks a 6-pack! Coopers has got way cheaper in the last couple of years, its always on special for about $14 if memory serves.