Denpyo - to send or not to send

Ha ha. Somebody else with amazing powers of foresight. Join SKI and -20.7. They're both seers too.

Just a pity you didn't have the foresight to see that nothing would change in your business if you didn't send the telegram that you didn't want to send.

But take comfort - most people are just like you. Quite clearly.

Interesting thread this one.

mina2 asks the question 'should I be false or not', hinting that while it is unpleasant, he is generallly inclined to be false out of a fear of some unspecified reprisal.

Kintaro chips in to say, 'Yes you should heed the unspecific fear thing because that's what Japanese people do'.

I offer an opinion based on my pesonal business experience that it doesn't matter. Kintaro's cheese promptly falls off his cracker again, and he gets into that nasty ad-hominem routine that got him banned for a month once already.

I post a few counter arguments to which nobody has a good answer. Then a few people who are not apparently in business for themselves in Japan say that they too are strongly inclined to be false to themselves for fear of something worse (without specifying what exactly, because, well, they have no idea).

Then mina2 thanks everybody and goes away convinced by the non-arguments of those who are not best positioned to know that being false is the wise and business-like thing to do.

I confess to being a little confused about the motives of mina2, and indeed of most of the other posters on this thread.

(For those who imagine that in place of being false to my clients, I'm simply rude to them, nothing could be further from the truth. I'm politely honest with them, and they reward me handsomely for it. It does take a little bit of courage to hit the 'Send' button on an email with content that you know they're not going like that needs to be said, but sometimes integrity demands it. From trying it, I also know that my clients ultimately prefer it.)

Uh-oh, SJ, Ocean's mad at me. Am I gonna get banned again?

I've never sent a dempo for business but I would if the situation arrived. I've sent them to friends weddings that I couldn't attend. But at the end of the day...who fkn cares?

It's a moot point. I can just barely believe how much time you put into this Ocean. Ya' really should get a life mate. Seriously.

> But at the end of the day...who fkn cares?

You do, apparently you big moron. That was the whole point of your hysterical 'get with the culture or else' posting wasn't it? First you're spitting bile about it, then you're Mr Nonchalance. Make up your dumb mind if you can. And as I doubt you've asked any normal Japanese people about it whereas I have, if they actually care about it, their only gripe is that they would have preferred not to have had the Company taking over their whole wedding. Japanese people are coming to realize the importance of separating their private and work lives, even if 50-something buchos and Uncle Tom gaijins are a bit slow to notice it.

(BTW the old 'get a life' routine gets a lousy 2 out of 5 on the Clever Things To Say on Forum scorecard. When someone else quickly posts a cogent argument, you just go and reveal that you personally wouldn't have any time left for anything else if you attempted it yourself. Now I'm going to read a book that you'd have a hard time understanding.)

Quote:
Does Ocean actually run this site?
Now we're just getting silly again.

Just for the record.
Again (sigh).

Ocean11 has posted over 8000 times on these Forums.
He's also written some stuff for the site in the past, and has at times very kindly taken the time and helped with feedback on new stuff for the site as we develop it - as have about 15 other "heavy users" (for want of a better phrase!) over the past few years.

And, well, that's about it.

I completely side with Ocean. But then, I am the kind of person who is very likely to piss against the wind of tradition and conformity at most opportunities. For example, whilst being grilled in an audit I told an officer from a Japanese government regulatory body that I couldn't remember what university I went to. I questioned why my place of study 12 years ago was such an important piece of information. I then asked my translator to tell him that I will respect any opinion of his based upon the present day facts as they relate to the substance of the audit but that I will not submit to being judged on a traditional and superficial Japanese basis that he was trying to force upon me. My translator just about f*cking died and so did the auditor (I knew he could speak English all along.) Business continued and all was well.

As for wedding conformity. Bah! I was best man once and I didn’t even buy them a present.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to update on this.

The company concerned just renewed their contract (and actually made it bigger) which I'm mighty pleased about. Also happy that the guy has been moved to a different dept and the new guy is much friendlier.

Of course I'm not saying that this is because of the denpyo, but I'm glad I made the small effort to send it.