• 5 months later...

Stupid grotty birds! Or maybe that should be stupid grotty politicians.

It's pathetic that no one's come up with a strong contingency plan. Seems everyone's too busy with the 'war on terror' to be bothered with possible pandemics.

Quote:
Originally posted by nicole:
[QB] Stupid grotty birds! Or maybe that should be stupid grotty politicians.QB]
More like stupid grotty humans. These types of pathogenes are caused by intensive farming in less-than-adequate conditions.

Animal to human transfer is a result of unhygenic practices as those found in most Third World countries.

Wild species are generally free of such diseases, or at least controlled by them, via survival of the fitest (natural) control.

Basically, this planet has too many humans on it, and we're screwing it up for every species - a cull in our species would be a good thing.

yep. if it's not bird flu that culls us, it'll be some other disease/natural phenonmenon/human stupidity - whatever it takes for the forces of nature to deal with us.

and the cycle continues, and we're here and gone in the blink of an eye.

• 2 months later...

It started becoming a real big thing at home in UK when i visited for a couple of weeks. I was shocked at how much people were panicing about it after coming from Japan where it seems noone is really that bothered publicly.

My brother works for the RSPB (Bird charity in UK) and is having a real difficult time at the moment as people are actually going out and destroying nests and other bird and wildfowl habitats. The first case was discovered in Scotland in a swan, and people were urged to report any dead swans they spotted. What followed was a complete influx of reports of pretty much any dead bird that followed and it seems that the public are becoming more and more agitated in UK and doing more and more damge to the bird reserves and other areas, mainly i think due to lack of proper information and education on it from the government.

This is in direct contrast to Japan where we have allready had a number of cases and the public seems somewhat blase about the whole thing, let alone the government.