Has anyone ever had a dual boot computer? (e.g. Japanese OS in a drive, English OS in another drive. You can choose which OS on starting .)

if yes, what it's like? Goes weird too often or no problem?

no problem with XP, just make a seperate partition for each os., run xp install, and it will make a dual boot "thing" selecter for you. there are other options if you are running other operating systems.

Is it xp?

When you boot your computer, it's best not to put dual boots into it because doing so might cause you to fall flat on your face (or 'crash' in the technical jargon).

gamera, I have English Office 2000 and English Firefox on a Japanese OS - all the menus are in English. Using a Japanese OS is not that difficult for somebody who has used a computer before, even if they don't read Japanese.

OS X on the Mac has been around for years - all you need to do is select a language and the OS and applications all magically change to that language. No need for dual boot systems. You don't even need to reboot. I don't know why anyone would choose to use Windows in a multilingual environment...

Gamera - I run a training center in Chiba with many different groups - from business and academic customers to surfers. We have an old Mac (10 years old with and upgrade card) running OS X 24/7 and in the last 3 years, it has catered to international groups using Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Arabic

and many more languages with no virus/spyware/adware problems and no maintenance or support problems. It also is the main party machine with iTunes connected to a sound system. No problems, no crashes, no maintenance and it just works...

Highly recommended for the hospitality industry - next time I am in Hakuba, I'll set you up...

Oh?? Oh????

English Netscape and Eudora on Japanese Win98???

Fall flat on my face???? Means my face would get flat?

fjef - is that a PowerMac? My Mac is a Performa5440 with PowerPC603e - 8 years old. I thought that was too old to use. Do you think it could work like your 10 years old one? I don't think we can replace the processor into new one like PowerPC G5 because it's not a PowerMac but a Performa. I just need a computer for customers use for browsing/emailing. I don't think they would do some business paper work on it because our customers are usually not on business when they stay in my place with us. :rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally posted by gamera:
Oh?? Oh????

fjef - is that a PowerMac? My Mac is a Performa5440 with PowerPC603e - 8 years old. I thought that was too old to use. Do you think it could work like your 10 years old one? I don't think we can replace the processor into new one like PowerPC G5 because it's not a PowerMac but a Performa. I just need a computer for customers use for browsing/emailing. I don't think they would do some business paper work on it because our customers are usually not on business when they stay in my place with us. :rolleyes:
The Performa is upgradable with a Sonnet L2 upgrade card and capable of running OS X but I would not suggest putting any money in that machine. It is still useful with an older OS but lacks many of the advantages of OS X.

It is possible to pick up a used iMac with a G3 400 or faster processor that will run OS X Panther for about 20,000 yen or less. Panther is a fantasic multi-lingual OS that is perfect for a hotel or guest house (I have set up several in gaijin houses in Tokyo for the owners). No maintenance needed and the system (and the built-in applications) can be easily switched from English to Japanese (or French, Chinese, Russian etc) without rebooting. No spyware, adware or viruses either. It would save you and your guests a lot of windows headaches!

I also set one up (with a wireless router) in Hakuba last winter where we stayed because I had to stay in touch with my office/clients while we were on vacation for a week - I didn't know about your place then - I should have stayed at your place!

Ocean11 - okay, i have to try some English software in one of my PCs.

fjef - oh? only 20,000 yen for a used iMac? I agree with you about my old performa. I think no virus protection softwares available any more for the OS (Mac OS 8.0-upgraded from kanji talk 7.5.3).

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
You can load English language software on any Japanese Windows OS, and it works perfectly.
English software will work fine on Japanese windows - but the OS itself remains Japanese and can easily confuse people who are not used to dealing with it. OS X changes the language of the OS, applications, menus, system preferences - everything - so there is no confusion. Its perfect far a multilingual tourist setting.

If you have the English software icons on the desktop, the punters need only click them to open the programs. Nothing too confusing there.

If they've used a computer before, they'll know roughly where all the interface items are - you really don't need to read them.

Personally I'd find it easier to complete a familiar task on an Arabic Windows machine than an English Mac (although I grant that being able to switch between languages on the fly is a wonderful thing that I'd love to see in Windows...)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

Personally I'd find it easier to complete a familiar task on an Arabic Windows machine than an English Mac (although I grant that being able to switch between languages on the fly is a wonderful thing that I'd love to see in Windows...)
But a browser is a browser - hotmail and yahoo all look and work the same on both platforms...

Hmm... You've got me thinking about converting. My boyfriend is Japanese and we use the same PC at home.

Quote:
Originally posted by fjef:

OS X on the Mac has been around for years - all you need to do is select a language and the OS and applications all magically change to that language.

Scuse the ignorance but does that mean that everything changes language - so if you installed Japanese Word when the OS was running in Japanese then switched to English mode then even the Word menus, help files and stuff would be in English?

Also, can you still type in Japanese when you run it in English mode?

I read somewhere else that Creative Suite is language specific even on OS X. Does that mean you can only run Illustrator in the language it was installed in?

Cheers \:\)

No, what happens is My mac is set to english on start up. When I want to use an application in Japanese (very rare occasion) I go into system prefs and just change the main language to japanese. From then on any application that you open will be in Japanese. They apps that you had open before the change will stay in english unless you quit them and re open them.

You can also make a user for each person and have yours set to english & his to Japanese. Then when the need arises just change between users and the language will change.

Recently with the release of Tiger some people were n't able to read my japanese sent from mail while in english. ( was OK in 10.3) Did anyone else have this prob?

Quote:
Scuse the ignorance but does that mean that everything changes language - so if you installed Japanese Word when the OS was running in Japanese then switched to English mode then even the Word menus, help files and stuff would be in English?
Also, can you still type in Japanese when you run it in English mode?
I read somewhere else that Creative Suite is language specific even on OS X. Does that mean you can only run Illustrator in the language it was installed in?

Cheers \:\) [/QB]
Microsoft isn't quite so elegent - Word will run fine in either Japanese or English mode and you can type in either languages but the Word menus will remain in either Japanese or English. But Pages, Apples Word Processor that opens and saves to Word format will switch completely to either language.

Adobe is the same -Illustrator will run on OS X in English or Japanese but the menus will be in the whatever language you bought it.
  • 1 month later...

Probably another stupid question but what if I bought and English Windows OS and a Japanese Keyboard & then set the keyboard settings in the computer to Japanese. Would it then type as well in Japanese as a regular Japanese OS?