Grasshoppers - tasty food

Here in Naggers we like to go out into the rice fields just after the harvest, catch ourselves a bunch of grasshoppers, cook them in soy sauce and sake, put them on a bowl of rice, AND HAVE OUR REVENGE!

For us, eating grasshoppers is just another way of saying 'winter is just around the corner'. They taste mighty fine, they're crunchy, and you can send your little boy into ecstasies of hilarity if you let a hind leg dangle from your lower lip as you eat your grasshopper.

Anybody else enjoy eating off-beat delights? A female colleague told me how she and her friends used to go picking apart rotten trees to eat the grubs. And in Otsu, they eat the cheesy precursor to sushi - rice, milk, and funa (a type of carp) left to ferment in a barrel. It's OK, but not for breakfast.

I prefer mine Nama if ya know what I mean. Its like eating octopus right when its been killed and when you eat the tenticles and theyre still moving going down your throat.... Yum!!! That feels so weird but taste great. Grasshoppers are also pretty good with some fresh lemon squeezed on. I was thinking of trying Sake next time...

Grasshopper taste? Hmmm, difficult one that. Definitely not like chicken.

Actually they taste pretty much of what they're cooked in. If you've had some variety of tsukudani, you'll know what I mean. You get the taste of the soy, mirin and sake, plus that indefinable extra something. With grasshoppers, it's a slightly dark, rich, crunchy extra something. I like it.

There's considerable resistance to putting them in your mouth the first time (the glazed eyes, the antenna, did I see a leg move?), but when you've done it once and realized how good they are, it's hard to stop eating the crunchy critters. Bit like doing backflips I guess.

• 3 weeks later...