How do you rate the action so far?

Really good on the whole. Its half time now at Sweden vs Nigeria (1-1) which is turning into an excellent game - well worth watching.

Check it out if you can.

Super fab and brill.

Some excellent games so far.

Let's just hope Becks can do his majik tonight.

It's been good, with some really interesting results coming out of the games. Just think if France and Argentina both don't qualify for the next round.

Maybe China will beat Brazil today.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been great hasn't it? I'm really into soccer but viv isn't so much - but even she's been getting carried away with the excitement.

I just can't help thinking that games should be in the evening - especially now that there are few matches left. Some teams are visibly wilting in the heat, and that doesn't make for the best conditions for the best players to show their worth.

kev

Many unexpected results but the overall play has been too defensive. Even the few big matchups there have been (like Argentina-England) have been memorable for the results, not for the action.

Compared to the 1982 finals with the classic France-Germany semi (Schumacher foul 3-3 then pens) and Brazil-Italy game (2-3 Rossi hat-trick), for example, its been rather dull. Korea's progress has been the most interesting aspect, but that has been marred by some terrible refereeing. The Italians looked quite good, so it's a shame that they're out.

Now we're left with the Germans (poor), the Turks (competent), the Brazilians (good but patchy), and the Koreans (heroic if jammy as hell). Doesn't exactly make you want to run out and give some tout way over face value for a ticket. It's probably the only chance many of us are going to get to see a World Cup Final.

Everyone is proud of England, but the best chance they created against 10 men was a speculative long shot from ... Danny Mills. Without Gerrard and Beckham at 100%, England don't have any creative players capable of opening up even just a team like Nigeria. They progressed much further than everyone expected, but I won't be rushing to watch the videos again. The Venables team for Euro 96 was much better. It hurts to say it, but teams with minor Premiership players (Turkey, USA (ouch!)) have been more exciting to watch.

Stars of the World Cup? - the Senegalese drummers in the crowd. Epic rhythms. I wish we'd drop that stupid oompah band with their "Rule Brittania"s and get one of our own.