Really way off topic - Hiroshima

Anybody else slightly disgusted by the continued manifestations of 'the Hiroshima cult'?

The parades of little children mouthing platitudinous declarations in unison about doing your bit for peace...

The mythic little girl who wasted her limited years making origami cranes...

The old folks upsetting themselves every year on the anniversary...

The young folks gettin' well into the 'spirit', foreigners too, all totally vicariously...

The 'Hiroshima historical bubble' like it all fell out of a clear blue sky...

The 'Hiroshima still has a role to play' line - like, how...?

I'm hoping that all you teachers out there are doing your bit to burst that bubble. I once taught English to a group of firemen from Hiroshima, and I explained in English to them that most Asians I've talked to said they'd be glad to see Hiroshima bombed again given similar circumstances. The firemen beamed and nodded yes, yes, primed as they have been for what they thought must be a sympathetic 'terrible isn't it?' speech. They looked quite appalled when I explained again in Japanese.

I don't really understand your point... are you saying that the ceremony at hirosima is a waste and has been overdone?? are you suggesting that no memorial service be held??

what do you think would be better? nothing at all??

explain...

danz

But the trouble with the Hiroshima cult is that nobody seems quite to remember how it all got started...

I'm not much of a fan of ceremonial and memorial because some silly bullshit always manages to creep in, but Hiroshima really takes the biscuit. When some 'victim' dies at a ripe old age and they get those books out with their white gloves on and record yet another person who died 'because of the Bomb', you have to wonder a bit what planet Hiroshima is on...

If you're going to have a memorial, at least keep it real, and remember who did what.

As you know Ocean, the memorial is to remember just the horrid part that was afflicted on Japan, not the horrid things that got them in that situation in the first place. They wouldn't want to remember that now would they?

What do you expect. Really?

Ocean..

I lived in Hiroshima for 5 years and the locals dont spend this time of year harping on about what happened to them. They are fully aware that its two sided thing and they are probably as much to blame as the US.

I used to teach an old guy who had no legs was blind and was riddled with cancer....he doesnt get upset about the bomb - hes glad it ended the war.

And as for all the children saying they'll do there bit for peace, you make it sound like it never happens back home. I can distinctly remember teaching kids back in Scotland who were little bastards until red nose day ( UK charity day ) and then they wanted to save the world...

I understand you hate ceremony and memorial because of all the bullshit but thats life...I mean do you hate Christmas????

Seriously mate - one day a year - calm down!

talisker, I'm amused you think I might actually like Christmas... Haven't you met anyone yet who honestly didn't?

I didn't actually mention anything about memorials in any other country, but I'd wager that they all stink. In this case, I limited my comments to Hiroshima, because the other day, when I was sitting on the toilet, the Suwa City Public Affairs department invited me, over their loudspeaker system, to bow my head for 30 seconds. And then again in the evening, the news covered all the bullshit that had gone on in Hiroshima that day, and threw in a bit of their own for good measure. Sure it's only one day, but does that mean I can't comment on it? Also, for many of the people I've met from Hiroshima, it's rather more than a one-day thing. Maybe the urge to proselytise comes out when they leave town?