Caught a train to Hakone, very early train so not many people around. Hakone is the end of the line. Got off the train, 2 minutes later realised that I had left my bas on the overhead rack. Went back to the train (I was only 30 meters away). Bag gone. Bag not handed in to lost property, woman in broken English said she saw someone take it.

Contents:

digital video camera

digital camera

mobile phone

other small things.

wallets and purse, cash etc.

Total value = JPY350,000

If theft rates are low in Japan it is made up for by the amazing check they have stealing right in front of you and in the space of 2 minutes.

Lesson learnt.

PS - Fuji looked fantastic! Crystal clear day and heaps of nice white snow.

My sympathies deebee, that's an awful lot to lose in one hit. My apartment got burgled within a time period of 3 hours last week. The police said there was nothing we could really do to stop people from getting in if they're determined enough. Why don't the jerks just get a job like everyone else?

I am not very happy, but:

a) It was my fault - I left the bag on the train for 2 minutes,

B) life is random. Anything can and probably will happen. The only thing you can control is how you let it affect you. I sometimes admire stoics.

having said that I am pretty despondent. It ruined what would have been a great day. And it was an expensive hit.

I think what really gets me is that the person that stole it would have had to have been walking almost directly behind us as we left the train. When the lady said that she saw someone take it the station dude in the fancy uniform pretty much walked away. No one could speak any english, I couldn't say very much at all in Japanese (I cant even string a sentence together). No one offered to take my details. It all seemed too nasty for them and too difficult. I sensed that once it was obvious that it had been stolen, no one wanted a thing to do with me. The station employee literally just walked away and we were just left standing there. We just got back on the same train and came home, minus my house key.

deebee that SUCKS ASS! man thats a killer... i'd be soooo angry if that happen to me i cant imagine how ur feeling...

dont blame yourself hey its not ur fault u didnt make the steal it, its the theives that have no life or repect for anyone....

did you have anything insured?

sorry 2 hear man!