Hi all, just come back from my 4th trip to Japan (3rd time to Shiga Kogen, TR coming soon) and am already looking at trip #5....

Just wanting to know other places that have technical tree runs. One of my favourite runs at Shiga Kogen goes from Terakoya into a green run on Higashisdate-yama. There's some fast turns, as well as some hairpins, and powder to the side to play in.

Are there any other resorts that offer this type of run? The pictures from Yuzawa are nice, but look pretty open and bare (or is that just the impression I get?).

Any suggestions for other areas?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BM and many an other poster talks up Cortina as the place for tree runs....never been but the vids look great

I get a heap at rusutsu, You can check them out on youtube if you like, just search for etm360, select my channel and check out the 2012 stuff. You can get pretty damn fast through those trees which I find one hell of a rush.

How's Kagura for trees?

Good! The snow wasn't great when I was there last March but I could see the potential. Check out some of the recent Kagura posts for more info - Ippy's War and Peace review springs to mind (if you've got half an hour to spare!), and Gary posted some cool vids!

Hi all, just come back from my 4th trip to Japan (3rd time to Shiga Kogen, TR coming soon) and am already looking at trip #5....

Just wanting to know other places that have technical tree runs. One of my favourite runs at Shiga Kogen goes from Terakoya into a green run on Higashisdate-yama. There's some fast turns, as well as some hairpins, and powder to the side to play in.

Are there any other resorts that offer this type of run? The pictures from Yuzawa are nice, but look pretty open and bare (or is that just the impression I get?).

Any suggestions for other areas?

From a quick shuftie at Google Earth, it sounds like you're talking about a "rinkan" course, like a twisty mountain road that's only five or six meters wide.

Many resorts have them, though perhaps not with the vertical drop of the one you're describing. They often get clogged with beginners at busy times.

A fair few of them do not have enough gradient to snowboard on. Snowboards are like bicycles in that its hard to stay balanced when you have next to no speed. Snowboarding beginners shouldn't be taken on rinkan courses. Practice the falling leaf thing on a regular course instead.

please teach me how to embed a video from you tube.

you just copy and paste the Youtube URL now and enter it in the main body of the post.....you don't need any [youtube/] things anymore :thumbsup:

Rusutsu

Heaps of trees and heaps of Pow.

Even I can enjoy trees got so close today was able to study at least 3 different types of moss :)

Seemore

PS photos tommorrrow

Rusutsu

Even I can enjoy trees got so close today was able to study at least 3 different types of moss :)

Seemore

PS photos tommorrrow

Good tip.

I make sure to pracice trees in Rusutsu then :friend:

pics yes please !

My recommendation is to not hit them. Myoko Kogen is a great place for mellow tree runs. All of the resorts there have sweet runs.

mellow ? not convinced after seeing your run mate lol. but please do take me there sometime ...

I will try and follow your advice but murphy rules ...

Rusutsu

Seemore

PS photos tommorrrow

Well done Sean! Thats called being at one with nature :clap:

Cant wait to see the pics.