THIS IS NOT A DEFENCE FOR SWEARING ON THE FORUM. I JUST THOUGHT THAT IT WAS INTERESTING AND A LITTLE AMUSING. I AGREE THAT SWEARING IS NOT REALLY NEEDED IN THIS FORUM. I AM HAPPY TO STICK BY THE RULES.

I hope I dont get in trouble for this post.

In convict Australia, a magistrate today dismissed a case against a man who told the police to "F*** off". It was deemed that this swear word, when used in a non threatening tone and manner, is no longer considered offensive by the larger community. Interesting.

A link related to the story led me to some community thoughts on this ruling. One I liked was "I am offended that anyone can be offended by a word". A more amusing cintribution was this rather long spiel (I edited out one line which may have been offensive to the Japanese, but not because the F ward was used):

Perhaps one of the most interesting and colorful words in the English language today is the word F*%. It is a magical word that just by its sound can describe pain, pleasure, love, and hate. In language, F*% falls into many grammatical categories. It can be used as a verb, both transitive (John F*%ed Mary) and intransitive (Mary was F*%ed by John). It can be an active verb (John really gives a F*%), or a passive verb (Mary really doesn't give a F*%), or it can be an adverb (Mary is really F*%ing interested in John), a noun (Mary is a terrific F*%), or an adjective (Mary is F*%ing beautiful). As you see, there are few words with the versatility of F*%.Besides its sexual connotations, this incredible word can be used to describe many situations:

Greetings: How the F*% are you?

Fraud: I got F*%ed by the car dealer.

Dismay: Oh, F*% it!

Trouble: Well, I guess I'm F*%ed now.

Aggression: F*% you!

Disgust: F*% me!

Confusion: What the F*%...?

Difficulty: I don't get this F*%ing business.

Despair: *sigh* F*%ed again.

Incompetence: He F*%s everything up.

Displeasure: What the F*% is going on here?

Lost: Where the F*% are we?

Disbelief: UnF*%ingbelievable!

Retaliation: Up your F*%ing ass.

It can be used in an anatomical description: He's a F*%ing asshole. It can be used to tell time: It's five F*%ing thirty. It can be used in business: How did I wind up with this F*%ing job? It can be maternal: MotherF*%er. It can be political: F*% tip O'Neill.And never forget General Custer's last words: Where did all these F*%ing Indians come from? And last but not least, the immortal words of the captain of the Titanic: Where is all this F*%ing water coming from?The mind fairly boggles at the many creative uses of the word.

A couple of months ago, my cousin's wife got fined 400 quid plus 180 costs for having a scarf in her pub that said "Sunderland are [the S word that rhymes with white)!" The pub is a theme pub for Newcastle United Football Club and Sunderland are their (geographically) closest rivals.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,785206,00.html

Apparently the then Sunderland manager Peter Reid had been in the pub not two weeks previously and had found it very funny.

Quote:
And never forget General Custer's last words: Where did all these F*%ing Indians come from? And last but not least, the immortal words of the captain of the Titanic: Where is all this F*%ing water coming from?
That's only half the story.

The Indians were saying "Bags I get his F*%ing scalp!", while the passengers exclaimed as one "F*%ing hell! That's the worst F*%ing driving I've seen in my whole life!"