buy nothing day japan this sunday nov 24th

Higuma - With all due respect I have to say I think your 9:30AM post is out of line. This poor kid may be a little misguided but you are being unnecessarily harsh on him and indirectly on forum members that share his beliefs. I think any human is entitled to his opinion without that level of condemnation.

I have a lot of respect for people that are working to make the earth a better place whether or not it is a cause I am in complete agreement. The person is acting.

As for the WTO "RIOTS" as you so politically correctly put it (BTW were you there on the streets to make that claim or is that what you saw on the Network News at 5?) yes a large amount of the organizers were from out of town. But that was a world event. I promise you that there was a very large amount of Seattle based organizing going on. And the "riots" (I assume you mean vandalization) element was carried out by a small percentage of rogues, many of them from the Seattle area (not Eugene). Most were kids that said "this is our chance to go cause some trouble." These aren't anti-globalization protesters, just pissed off kids.

Anyway, my original point is just a plea for some level of compassion for anyone.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enderzero,

I hear and understand your post...but I am here and have to live with the (some would say mild) public/personal embarasment of the Sapporo Santa... and don't get me wrong it wasn't all that bad - just meaningless..

In Vancouver this would be a non-issue, In Tokyo maybe a lesser issue, but in Sapporo it is an issue to me at least... my opinion on how it affects me personally & nothing else...

I invited comments and I am glad you gave yours... what parts of the post did you find harsh by the way... Did the Country Club comment strike too close to home \:\) \:\) \:\) \:\)

Oh, and on the WTO thingy - yes I was in Seattle for the WTO meeting but not as a protester....

Riot: (Webster's Dic)

a : public violence, tumult, or disorder

b : a violent public disorder; specifically : a tumultuous disturbance of the public peace by three or more persons assembled together and acting with a common intent

A restate - Seattle WTO "RIOTS"

Was also close to the Stanley Cup Riots in Vancouver a few years earlier.. much the same thing...

You can really see what's refered to as "Mob Mentallity" during these events.... There where LOTS of local non-violent WTO protesters in Seattle that got caught up in this feeding frenzy and did stuff they were later ashamed of... There were very few inocents there after the authorities first asked, then told and eventually ordered them to disburse....

My final feelings on Sapporo Santa is

"Don't be a hipocrit.. if you believe in the word you are spreading then live your life like that everyday and not just on special occasions / 1 day protests etc.., Don't be like the hipocritical, self professed, Christians that I have known over the years who only act Christian on Sunday for the status of it"

I am almost certain that someone else paid for SS's ticket over here.. He is likely teaching today and will go to Mos Burger for lunch before riding his bike back home tonight to chat on his G4 Ti Notebook.. He is a consumer like all of us and probably has a 75% chance to return home for good within the next year to talk about his making a difference here in Japan.. He is young and naive just like we all are/were... And like Me - On most days, he is a fool.... He is part of the problem and his one day protest will not counteract his contribution to that which he is protesting...

I had tried to put this thing to bed in my last post - I hope I haven't stirred things further with this one....

Hey Deebee,

I feel i should have apologized to u personally for the sex tourist analogy. I was trying to find your member page to send u a private mail but i couldn't find it. Anyway, allow me to apologize. when i saw your earlier post it made mad and i reacted with a bitter and clumsy post. understand that i'm no stranger to discrimination and exploitation and i took what u said personally(plus i just came back from an 8 hour conference). so, i'm sorry. I'm extending the olive branch here. can we agree to disagree and get on with snowboarding?

Higuma,

thanx for understanding. as for people being career activists, i hear u and know what u're talking about. As with any group of people, there's gonna be the fundamentalists, the radicals and the people there just for a buck. To me being environmentally minded doesn't mean u have to live like a feral and chain yourself to trees. Being environmentally minded is as easy as taking a bag with u to the supermarket, taking a pair of hashi around with u when u eat out and refusing wari-bashi. it's only a small pain in the ass and if enough people did it, i think it would have a real world effect. Sumtimes i feel that most people r turned off from the environmental movement exactly for the reasons u say.

as for Zenta, well, i'm of the opinion that sumthing is better than nothing and everything, no matter how small, counts. so a few people walking around sapporo that day saw sumthing that sparked off a thought. maybe it will lead to sumthing, maybe it won't but at least that spark was there. I think globalization is going to be inevitable. Human beings r social beings - we've been forming families then tribes then clans then kingdoms and then countries since ages past. it's a natural progression that the world becomes one. my only hope would be that it's not a world of mcdonalds and starbucks on one hand, poverty and desolation on the other.

Hey, everything is cool on my front there mate, dont worry. If anything I was a little suprised at the big shift in focus of the thread when you mentioned it. Nothing more needs to be said except that if you left wingers dont stop ripping branches from olive tress there will be no olive trees left ;\)

\:\) by the way, I have been thinking about your signature "make kickers not bombs". I came up with "drop nickers not bombs". You know...like girls.....dropping their under garments... better than war.......doesn't matter. ummm.