A quick question about the new licence law. I have been using an international licence for about two years now but have heard that there is a new law and that now after a year if you wnat to keep on driving you have to switch you licence over to like...a real one. Which of course involves taking a test. I was just wondering if anyone has and info on this.

Chris

it's true. you need to take the test. even if you dont get caught by the police, you arent covered by your insurance if you dont have a proper license. but if you are from the UK, Australia, New Zealand you just have to take an eye test and fill out the paperwork- no problem just time and money. for those from the US or Canada, you have to take the behind the wheel test. the test itself isnt too difficult, but everyone fails the first time bc they are super nit-picky. ie before you even enter the car you can to inspect the tires and underneath and theres a proper way of entering and everything. its really crazy. they really want you to take lessons at 6000yen an hour. CmWebb- since youre from suwa, can you access the nagano jet onelist? there was a lot of discussion and tips about passing the test on it. good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I got stopped by the police this afternoon when I was driving - they were doing random license checks!

Aaaarrrhhh!

I still have my International - not found the time to get the Japanese one - and the thread on here came in my mind immediately.

The policeman actually told me that since June of last year we can't have an Intl license for more than 1 year. I think he misunderstood me when I said I was back home in December, he said that I will have to get a J license in the next month.

Luckily he was quite friendly, but now I'm going to go and get my Japanese license.

You have to be out of the country for 3 months to be able to use an international licence after your 1st year. The chances of getting caught are pretty slim I think, but not being covered by insurance is going to kill you should you be in a serious accident. eek.gif