Yesterday started off beautiful - not a cloud in the sky, sun blazing at 6am. As we drove south, the clouds started piling up a bit and some flakes started falling. We got to Hachimantai and it was snowing at a moderate rate, but the wind was non-existant. About mid-day, the wind started to howl, the snow 'fell' horizontally, and the light was very flat. I was hoping to film a lot, but the conditions just weren't great for it. Got some decent stuff when the sun broke out, but nothing spectacular.

The snow was wierd. About 5 to 15cm of pow on top of crust. It was hardpacked in places, but knee breaking in others. Difficult to ski on, especially with only one good leg. We had fun anywhow and made the best of it.

I got a kick out of skiing on the yellow snow though. Wipe the newly fallen snow away and underneath a layer of yellow, sandy snow greeted you. Thanks China! \:\) Damn Gobi desert wind storms!

I have to add this - RayinJapan is one helluva nice guy and a damn good boarder. Thanks for the good times Ray! Hakkoda in a couple weeks?? \:D 800mg of Motrin will cure me of the lazy leg I hope!

How was it down south for everyone? Lot's of pow? How were the temps? Oh, got a kick out of a new boarder saying 'I hate powder, I just can't do it'. Ummm, yeah, guy obviously hasn't been out much here \:\) Powder rocks!

Pluckster - Back at you bro! Had an awesome time hitting the snow and hanging out with a fellow SJ'er and the rest of the MM'ers. I wish we'd have hooked up sooner - too bad the season is about over. You gotta take care of that knee though so I guess "over" is good. The bar at the Royal Hachimantai Hotel was a blast. I'm glad Rus brought the Tequila. You guys are too cool. Thanks for asking me to stay up there and party with you guys. Momo had a great time meeting us up there too. Wish you weren't leaving this summer. We'll definetly have to get out on the jet skis before you leave. Hakkoda sounds good to me - I'll give you a buzz this week...

Ray - Thanks again for staying! You and Momo were such a pleasure to be around. Total bummer we didn't do this earlier in the season. I had a blast, but it was completely bittersweet. I wasn't expecting the presentos from the hotel. It made me realize how much I'm gonna miss it out here. Such a great group of people to hang out with - I wish we could do it every weekend like that! (I think I'm still hungover though \:\) Oh, and I wonder how Dave looked at work today....hope that ink came off!)

We'll talk this week and see what we can plan out. lol.....I thought I was typing a PM.....oh well! I think the scotch those karate chicks in the bar gave me really messed me up...... \:\)

r45 - I didn't mean to exclude you by saying 'down south'. I thought of that, but pretty much figured we're getting the same weather as you are in S. Hokkaido right now. We have gotten nowhere near 20 in Misawa yet. Maybe 8 or 10 at the warmest. I think they have hit 20+ in the Nagano area though. Am I right or way off?? Maybe it was Tokyo.