Right to voting for foreigner

One of my US friend in Japan, who lived here for 15 years, is always so angry about he cannot vote in Japanese local or national election because of he is foreigner.

I want to know what you think about this?

Can't understand what their politicians are saying anyway, so what difference does it make? No different than America...

Although I do wish I had the right to vote here so I could vote for the one guy who might someday have the guts to run on a platform that says: "I'll get rid of those loudspeaker vans that say 'vote for me' and drive through your neighborhood when the children are sleeping, or when you are trying to relax and watch TV, or at night etc..." Those are very annoying...

If you become a citizen then you get to vote.

I think you could make a case for allowing foreigners in any country a right to vote in local elections if they live somewhere long enough - just so that they have a say in how their taxes are being used. But unless they become a citizen, they shouldn't be able to vote in national elections.

I'd be surprised if any country allows foreigners to vote, especially Amurika.

As a britcit, I was allowed to register to vote in Aus. They have changed the law now, so you have to be an AU citizen to get on the electoral roles, but if you were on it before you can stay on it.

Funny thing, I remember when I was studying in Wales (for two years) I was surprised to receive a Polling Card for a regional By-Election. Apparently, coming from Hong Kong and being a British subject (not citizen) I was eligible to vote in the regional in which I was resident for more than a year.