You couldnt pay me enough to make me get in an onsen with monkeys. Its full of sh!t, **** and nits. And I dont think the monkeys would just sit and look at you either...

However it is pretty cool to go and look at THEM in the onsen. Just make sure you wear long boots if you go in winter as the track isnt always cleared. There is a ryokan right by the monkeys onsen and it has human only onsen if you really need to soak. Its a cool experience and great to see if there is snow falling at the time. Take lots of film.

There is an onsen up here in the Hakkoda mountains called Aoni Onsen. Its buried deep in a valley so you have to park your car in a roadside parking lot, take a scary bus ride up into the mountain (awesome view along the way), then hop into a 12 passenger snow cat that takes you the rest of the way. No electricity so you have oil lamps at night, and kerosene heaters. A small river runs through the place along with a partially frozen water fall. They have indoor, outdoor, mens, womens and mixed baths open 24 hours. We spent New Years Eve up there and it was awesome.

Its only 19km from Hakkoda ski-jo so I think we're going to plan another weekend where we ski in the am, go to Aoni in the PM, then check out early the next morning and head back to Hakkoda before going home...

Don't go to Aoni in the summer unless you like snakes - a friend of mine did that and shared the outside bath with a couple of big ones for a few minutes...said it made willy shrink a little more there for a while...