Seasons vary from excellent to rubbish. 2000 was very good, 2001 OK, 2002, absolute rubbish, 2003 good. Of course, every resort had some good weeks in the bad seasons and bad weeks inthe good seasons.

If you are intersted in knowing more about the Aus snow scene, I'd suggest having a look at ski . com . au , and maybe joining the forums there.

Raury nailed it - expect the good, bad & the ugly (actually that goes for most places)

OUF I think spring skiing all season is a little stretching it.

Coupla years back took a small group from here to Hotham for 6 days in August. Only Arctic conditions on 5 of those days as in -6+(??) and continual blizzards.

If you're in Oz in August I'd say go. Refreshing change from here, plenty of challenges, off piste is the norm - just don't think deep powder.

However good snow is not rare. Just gotta be a bit lucky.

Hell the weather so ratshit here in Aug. whattaya got to lose. ;\)

if you are heading in that direction and the snow is good, I would bypass Australia and hit New Zealand. Better from all accounts \:\)

If you want more guff on NZ just whistle

• 1 month later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by TheOrange:
Out of interest, are resorts down there busy - waiting for lifts etc?
They definitely can be. Especially the main lifts at the bottom of the mountain.

ski.com.au is the place to look for sure. I've been to all of the main Australian resorts - I like Thredbo the most.

I haven't been to NZ, but there are two factors you might want to consider - almost all accommodation is off-mountain, and there are no trees to ride in. Some people care about these I guess... from what I've heard, all other snow aspects of NZ beat Australia though.

If you're coming so far, August is definitely the best bet.