Can someone help! Archiving mails on Outlook

This is the best place to ask I reckon, with all you friendly people out there!

I have been using (Japanese version of) Outlook for my email for a couple of years now and there is a lot of mails in there, taking up a lot of space.

I want to archive them all, but have no idea how to. I'm kind of scared of losing things, so don't want to guess how to do it.

Anyone able to help me out here...

cheers in advance!

just put all your emails into a new folder.

then, find your outlook "store folder".

next, in windows explorer / file manager, go to the store folder and just move the new folder of emails out to somewhere else (disc etc).

thats fairly explicit.

first, make a new folder in outlook called 'archived messages'. put all your old messages in it.

next, click on 'options'. click the 'maintenance' tab. click 'store folder'. it will tell you where you store folder is. remember it.

next, open the file manager (i think its called windows explorer in win2000). find your store folder. you will see all your folders in outlook (inbox, drafts, sent items etc). remove the one called 'archived messages' and put it elsewhere on your HDD or on a disk.

done.

If you really want to back up all of Outlook (not Outlook Express) the easiest way is to just copy the outlook.pst file. You can then burn that file to a cd or whatever. If you are using Win2k or WinXP then you can find the file in:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Restoring it may be a little more difficult (actually just dropping it back there on a new install will get you all your mail, but Outlook will take some configuring for the other settings)...but at least you have it backed up. It is the only file I bother to back up on a regular basis.

Anyway - archiving is a little bit different than backing up...so I guess this doesn't really answer your question too well.

In keeping with the notion that e-mail outboxes are the diaries of the Net age, I wanted to archive all my Outlook Express mails--both sent and received--in the following manner:

Put all received and sent messages into one file, ordered by date. This way, when you look at things later in life, you can see the original mail and all the responses, in the proper order. They may be separated by intervening mails, but the chronological order will be preserved so that viewing this massive file will be an accurate diary-like experience.

Convert the e-mails from Microsoft Outlook Express's proprietary ".dbx" format into Word format (preserving Japanese and other double-byte characters).

That would be enough for me.

I've had the following problems trying to do this:

A.

What about attachments? Pictures, Word documents, Excel documents, etc. that are attached to e-mails cannot be converted or stored so simply. In the past when archiving e-mails I've had to strip all attachments and save the mails as a text file.

B.

When converting to Word or .txt format, sometimes I lost Japanese character support. All J messages turn into Martian.

If you do a Google search for "archive Outlook Express mail", you'll find links to many mail archiving programs that can help you with this sort of thing.

Some of them allow you to open and/or search by name, date, mail address, or keyword from mailboxes containing .dbx, .mbx (Eudora), and .pst (MS Outlook) files.

Some are much simpler.

Many of these are shareware or even freeware. Look into it!

Don't take a chance on losing your precious hoard of e-mails, one day when you are 75 years old you may wish to re-read some of the brilliant or banal exchanges of these amazing years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...