My college town (Corvallis, OR) was one of the first cities in the US to ban smoking inside restaraunts and bars. I think the big point that the city council used to pass the measure was the fact that the hired help was being subjected to second hand smoke on a continuous basis. If I remember correctly, people applauded the move in restaraunts but not for bars. One bar owner even went as far as letting people smoke in the bar and he got ticketed every night for it. A lot of cities have followed suit in the state of Oregon (and elsewhere of course). With most people I know and have talked to, they see it as a good move for eating establishments, but not for bars. Smoking and drinking go hand in hand for many people even if they aren't true smokers 7 days a week. Many people were pissed that they would have to go stand in the rain to have a smoke (while not being able to take their beer outside). I guess in answer to your question, they are for the most part very strict about it. The goody-goodies won't hesitate calling in on someone not following the new law.

I personally dislike the new law for drinking establishments. There are bars that have never allowed smoking. That means there has always been a choice to go to a smoking or non-smoking place. I just don't like the government bringing a heavy hand down and limiting peoples choices even more than they already do.

If you go skiing in California you cannot even smoke on the decking outside the restaurants. A good thing to It stinks It makes my clothes stink and to the people who do smoke.Have you any idea what your breath smells like.Try kissing an ashtray and you will have some idea