i haven't worked in france but am also keen to spend the winter there. i've been speaking to a few people and it seems that you can find hospitality work fairly easily just by knocking on doors.

there are also a whole heap of skiing related employment agencies on the web, but many of these probably only deal with EU passport holders. having said that i think there are some out there that will deal with non-EU people. if i can remember the name i'll send it to you

a friend of my girlfriend's speaks french fluently and had a ridiculously laid back job as a chalet girl - there were only guests for 2 months and the millionaire owner would take them out to dinner if there was no work to do, and the job allowed heaps of hours on the hill. but other people reckon this type of work generally involves long hours and not much time off

• 2 weeks later...

i have done 2 seasons in france. first in chamonix and second in tignes. it`s pretty easy to get work but is best to get to the big resorts early before everything gets snapped up. tignes has a massive english company with loads of jobs, can:t remember the name but it is a huge employer. i think france is ok to work for non eu residents. one thing to remember is that chalet people get paid peanuts and to get a bar job you have to get to the resort super early. everyone wants to work in the bars. i got a job in tignes cleaning, 1 day a week, sound boss, it paid my rent and gave me some beer money. that kind of thing is really easy to come by.

avoid val d`isere as it is well expensive, full of rich english seasonnaires with silly accents and bucketloads of toffs with obnoxious children enjoying a week on the slopes darling ya....