Hmm....... I just checked back and the story to that link has changed from the initial story to the latest update. Everyone is safe and accounted for. A couple were caught up by managed to haul themselves clear.

The frightening aspect was it was caused by blasting by patrol! They set it off but didnt expect it to go so far.

I thought NZ learned their lesson last year at Whakapapa ski area when blasting an area above the ski area during operating hours set of a massive slide.

I guess not.

and you think that my spelling and grammar's poor - an email from my bro at tc.

Quote:
how r u?

is the ski vid done yet?

there was a large avo at tc today set off by ski patrol and went bigger than

they thought goin over the first corner of triple treat where i was bout to

stop wit my class it hit a few people but not buyrin them but we had to

probe it cause they not shaw if people in it at first.

there has been lots a snow here had 3 powder days in last 4 even get some

face shots and found some big rocks to jump, been teachin a fair bit enogh

to get by.

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds huge...Lucky everyone was OK by the sounds of it....Over a metre in three days...bring it on!...I'll be at the beautiful lady riding what I thought would be spring slush for two solid weeks from mid next month!...Sounds like I'm in for a triple treat of my own though..I remember heading up the road early one morning only to be stopped by the contractors who were doing maintenance on it..The bloke was like "just hold on a minute..where going to have to blow this rock"...the next second there was a boom like something out of a mad max film and there were rocks the size of small kids erupting into the air...It was fricking abunai...They could have easily gone through the roof of the car...The guys in the car in front confronted management about it asking for free heliskiing tickets which they rightly thought would be a small token for an event that could have been much much worse....They got a free lunch voucher redeemable at the cafe...classic...Maybe the Chinese or whoever are just making the powergel triple strenth or something and not changing the label....The Patrol usually do a brilliant job on that hill...