Any of you pricks had experience with these things? Are they a simple 'plug and play' device or does one need to understand the science of AC/DC currents, hertz, volts, watts, volts, sine waves, penis pump etc

shocking

deebs,

as long as your TV supports multi format (ie PAL NTSC etc), which from looking at your TV should be no problem. As long as you buy the right voltage converter, which converts from english to japanese voltages, it should be plug in and off you go. Just check with an electronics shop that after conversion the current (measured in amps) is OK for your TV.

Just remember that

I=V/r

where I=current (amps), V=voltage (Volts, funny enough) and r=resistance (ohms, no not the purple ones). Simple! and no need to envoke penis pumps ;\)

Thanks Dr Spock!

It seems that converters do the job, but a transformer is better as it still converts voltage yet retains the sinusoidal electrical pattern, rather than just converting 110/240.

Converters produce square alternating current waves when magnifying 110 to 240. I read that this burns out motors. So a converter (rather than transformer) feeding a fridge, dryer, washing machine, fan, aircon etc will cause preoblems in the long run. I think this is also due to teh 50 v's 60 cycles (HZ) per seconds of the current, so the motor will run slower. I do not know is the same square wave problem exists when truncating a 240 volt wave to a 110 volt wave.

I knew all of this.

How do I determine if a TV is both PAL and NTSC compliant? If I plug my most-easygoing-freecountry-in-the-world-Australian video camera which is PAL into my Japanese TV, it does not play the tape images at all. At this stage I am going to take this as evidence that my TV is NTSC only. Unless there is a secret switch.

It should have a button on the remote which should switch formats as almost every modern TV these days is multi format. I'd be surprised if it didn't mate. Of course your easygoing, god we have good food, fantastic uncrowded beaches, great lifestyle and heaps of sexy chicks Australian camera will not work until you switch formats on the TV.

Sorry, forgot about the square vs sigmodal wave and 50 vs 60 hz considerations. Ring up Dick Smith, he'll know lol.gif

I'm pretty sure you can't watch PAL signals on a Japanese TV. I think you might be able to if you run a PAL signal through a pal/ntsc VCR which should automatically convert to NTSC...

...which means you wont have to worry abut being able to watch those european scat videos in PAL format on your NTSC tv.

lol.gif