anyone tried this new hydrid citrus fruit called "dekopon" the self proclaimed King of Citrus?.

They are very new creation and quite pricey at the market, but I tried one and was highly impressed.

dekopon

try one out if you see one, they have big button on the top where the stalk was, quite distinctive.

thumbup2.gif

I looked on the net and apparently they are 1/2 a Kiyomi (which in itself is a Japanese hybrid of a Satsuma mandarine and orange) and 1/2 a ponkan which is variety of mandarin originally from India that made its way to the US via china and is called a "Chinese Honey orange" in the states. So its a funny hybrid that tastes pretty nice \:\)

Its odd after a little research to learn there are dozens of citrus fruits I never knew and there are dozens of variety of mandarin, quite interesting. Incidently The Horticulture and Food Research Institute of New Zealand Limited is trialing Kiyomi oranges at the moment.

That looks a lot like a tangello to me, a cross between a tangerine and an orange. Maybe just the look is the same, but they sure are tasty as well. I'll look out for them.