Cycling in Northern India and Nepal

Hi, well this isn't really a topic but...I am planning on doing a bike trip starting next may from Calcutta up to Katmandu and then spend the rest of the time touring in Nepal and in Northern India for about four months total. If anyone is interested in doing the trip with me, part or all just drop me a line.

Chris.

P.S. I am a fairly strong rider but I am definately into taking my time. Currently I am living in Nagano.

He Snowmonster,

Well a budget is somthing which I really have to start thinking about more. But basically I am putting aside about 450 0000 yen for the trip. The biggest expense will be the plan tickets. For me that means a one way to India or Nepal and then a one way to Ottawa, Canada. I have flown from China and Japan to Canada before for about 70 000 yen (one way ticket)So I am hoping to get both tickets for about 160 000 yen. Of course I am hoping for cheaper. My next biggest expense will be stuff for my bike:saddle bags, racks, spare parts etc, a few up grades etc. I am going to shop around and buy as much second hand stuff as poss so hopefully it will all run me 50 000 yen or less. The rest is for food and accomodation though I am planning on bringing a tent. Whether I will have enough for four months I am not really sure yet but that is the idea. I have traveled in China and Morocco and your money really stretches much further in those countries. If anyone has experience riding in Asia I'd love

to hear from you.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there, maybe a bit late for an answer, but!

i would think it is more safe to do skydiving without a parachute than riding a bike in Nepal, been there! and from what i've heard, India is even worse. if i was to give any advice, it would be DON'T DO IT!!!!!

I've been to Nepal twice, and i simply love the place, people are really nice and Kathmandu is a very special place.

But the mountains are truly magical, there is nothing like it anywhere in the world, so gogogo, but do your self a favor and go by bus, although it can be a bit scary too

i'll be more than happy to share some more specific info if you have some questions

atb thunder

Hi!

miteyak, either we are talking about 2 different scenarios or you are a very brave person!

when i was in nepal i met many mountainbikers, in the mountains around Kathmandu, and Annapurna, it all looked nice, although too difficult for me.

The reason i adviced against cycling in nepal is that the road from kathmandu to Pokara looks like suicide on a bike with the big trucks. but then again i never surf waves bigger than 10 faces og go down the Olympic downhill slope in Happo One.

If you have time, tell us a little about your trip, would love to hear about it

ATB

thunder

thunderpants,

any specific info would be great. I'm probably not going for that long (maybe a month split between N. India and Nepal). I'd like to do at least one decently long trek in the mountains. I've heard a guide is quite neccessary for this. Are these operations really touristy-like? Do they negatively take advantage of the cultural appeal of small rural villages (as I've heard they sometimes do in outfits in Chaing Mai, Thailand). How's the weather around August. LP says its pretty rainy.

A summary of your trip might be nice.

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyski:
thunderpants,

I've heard a guide is quite neccessary for this.
No, not really. If you're clueless/want someone to carry your gear, take a guide. Otherwise, get a map and just do the treks.

If you have to have a guide, you can do anything from hiring a single guide to getting the whole group trek/porter thing. Easily arranged in Kathmandu.

You might want to check out some of the less touristy treks if you want to avoid the crowds. You take a small loss on fantastic vistas, but gain in rustic charm and tranquility. The Langtang/helambu/goisakund combo is rather nice, (but that was 14 years ago!).

Thunderpants, not much to tell. Lived there for a short spell, did some weekend trips, chinese border, pokhora, around kathmandu on the bike. The scariest things were the, the, the....dogs...

As for August...rainy.. the leeches...but less snowfields to content with.