Airlines / airports - worst English

I noticed when traveling to England how bloody awful the pronunciation of airline and airport staff is in Japan.

At the airport, there's a woman announcing each "fright", which may be "jei elu, shix, suree, eito".

Then on the plane, the co-pilot introduces himself with "leddies ando jontlemen", and inexplicably, he sounds like he's doing a poor imitation of an English speaker imitating a Mexican. He interrupts the film to tell us what time we'll be arriving over Oslo, as if it mattered, and one only hopes he can fly the plane better than he can pronounce his spiel, which he must get to do several times a week.

Given the importance of some of the information imparted by these ghastly voices, and the fact that they should have had plenty of practice, as well as lessons, it amazed me how terribly they perform.

That's getting a tad nitpicky, don't you think? What IS the important information you need to hear on the fright anyway? They are Japanese. I'm sure if you asked, they could throw a 'bloody' or '******' in there somewhere.

I just chuckle and go with it. Love the flights to the states on JAS or JAL where they will stop a movie to do stretching exercises. Eh, part of the experience I guess. No biggy.

Always order the vegetarian meal. Tastes better and you get it before everyone else. My tip of the day.

edit - wow, w anker is a banned word??? \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Plucky:
What IS the important information you need to hear on the fright anyway?
"Dis is da raast corlu for .... fright jei eru eito shix shix"

If you happen to be running late buying your sumo beermats and you're not underneath a monitor, it can be useful to know. It makes it hard if you have filtered it out because it sounds so bad. And I know it doesn't really matter, but it just makes Japan sound so ... so ... Third World. I know you know what I mean.

BTW I keep asking SJ to let up on censoring the w word. I hope they stop it soon.

See Ocean, the way I look at it, I don't speak Japanese well at all. BUT, JapaEngrish - I'm a superstar at now. I hear that broken english and I totally know what they are saying. It's like anybody trying to listen to someone from Scotland for the first time. It takes some getting used to.