Wanted - a good dictionary

I'm using the Seiko SII (SR-T6700). There is an English page about it here I like it cos its got all the things listed below.

These are some things you need to look at when choosing

1. Jump(ジャンプ)Key

Can you use the jump key to highlight kanji and get the readings of them or to look them up in another dic in your e-dic. A lot of e-dics aimed at the Japanese market only let you highlight English words to look up.

2.Which English/English Dictionary it has.

Mine has the Concise Oxford English dic which is useful for sneakily looking up English words you don't understand when you know your student is just about to ask you the meaning! Some of the other dics only have advanced learners versions of English English dics which are not too helpful for native speakers.

3. English to Japanese Dictionary

Most e-dics have one or both combination of

リーダーズ (readers/leaders?) with or without リーダーズプラス (readers/leaders plus) and Genius. Generally Genius is aimed at high school & リーダーズ at university.

Probably not a good idea to get one with only Genius. 

4. Japanese to English Dictionary

Most of the e-dics use Kenkyusha's New College dic. Check which Edition your getting when you buy. I think the latest is the 5th but it could be the 6th by now.

Thesaurus

Most have a Thesaurus. Useful if you do a lot of research paper proofreading or stuff like that.

Personal Katakata Dic

I never use it but I hear its good for studying - you can save the new words you learn here.

You'll have a Japanese-Japanese dic in there and I've got another Kanji one and a few Toeic test books in there too.

\:D As you can tell I'm not too busy today...

Quote:
Originally posted by me jane:
3. English to Japanese Dictionary
Most e-dics have one or both combination of
リーダーズ (readers/leaders?) with or without リーダーズプラス (readers/leaders plus) and Genius. Generally Genius is aimed at high school & リーダーズ at university.
Probably not a good idea to get one with only Genius. 
Ill get a new model dictionary from my school once I decide. Ill definitely get one that has something more than just the Genius. I have to cross reference so many words cuz my 4 year old Ex-word is pretty limited - especially compared with newer models.

Let me echo the recommendation for the SII (SR-T6700) for all the same reasons.

Much better than my old Sony (suffered a degenerative disease after being knocked about in a bag.) And the kanji dictionary has much easier lookup than the Canon Wordtanks in my opinion.

Also has quite an extensive E<->J phrase book which is a good source of examples; there is in fact a huge searchable collection of example sentences from various sources included.

Downside is: no available English manual that I know of, and the jyukugo search from the kanji dictionary seems a bit limited.