Required, obligatory, mandatory...which???

When something is a MUST, I find there are some way to express it in English as the subject line says, but which is the most natural?

I usually use 'required' for it though.

Does this depend on who says that and where the person is from? or depends on the situation? - formal or casual.

I usually use “mandatory” when a low is involved when something mast be done. i.e.:

2 years military service is mandatory in this country. (you have to do military service by low)

“Obligatory” has almost the same meaning but I think it generally applies to the case when a rule or a regulation is involved. i.e.:

School uniform is obligatory in Japan.

“Required” comes in when it is about a condition or requirement or need. i.e.:

you are required to pay the certain sum, in order to ………

new personnel is required in order to expand our enterprise.

Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:
I usually use “mandatory” when a low is involved when something mast be done. i.e.:
2 years military service is mandatory in this country. (you have to do military service by low)
“Obligatory” has almost the same meaning but I think it generally applies to the case when a rule or a regulation is involved. i.e.:
School uniform is obligatory in Japan.
“Required” comes in when it is about a condition or requirement or need. i.e.:
you are required to pay the certain sum, in order to ………
new personnel is required in order to expand our enterprise.
Thanks.... this is always hard for me to choose a correct word thinking about what is involved. \:\(
Do you mean 'lAw', not 'lOw' tsondaboy?

Ok, here is some good examples.

It is required from a “Banana Republic” citizen to do 6 years military service, because military service is Mandatory in “Banana Republic”.

Mandatory in this case means “it is required by law” wile required expresses what one has to do in order to meet this condition.

It is required from a Japanese high school student to wear a school uniform, because school uniform is obligatory in Japan.

Obligatory in this case means “it is required by the school rules” wile required expresses what one has to do in order to meet this condition.