Ambulances - "big Taxis with sirens"

Quote:
When will Japan let it's ambulance service arrive in the 21st century? For those who don't know, most ambulances in Japan are nothing more than big taxis with sirens. They load you up and drive you to the nearest hospital.

Why? Because the powerful group in Japan who represents doctors does not want to see ambulance attendants get paramedic training. Even ones who already have training are mostly blocked by the LAW from using it!

This is why you see so many stories that say the patient "died shortly after arriving at hospital". Yep, even if you are *clearly* dead (like an 8 or 9 story fall directly onto concrete) the ambulance must still rush you to the hospital so a doctor can pronounce you as dead.
I quoting a respondent from the Japan Today website with the pen name B4RSK.

I am shocked, is this really true? I was unaware this situation exists. Can anyone elaborate more on this?

Last year broke my leg playing rugby here adn had an Ambulance called for me. Was a complete farce!! BEcause I wasn`t crying like a baby or moaning out loud they assumed nothing was wrong with me, and thought I didn`t understand any Japanese. So they were moaning between each other why they were called out and what an "acting Gaijin and obviously didn`t need this service, and why couldn`t I have washed the dirt off?!?!?!" (in the middle of a god damn rugby game!!)and all this crap. Then proceeded to put me in the ambulance about the size of a mini, and couldn`t close the doors because my legs were too long to fit in. After manouvering me about and rather than putting me in a position to ease the pain and stop my injury getting worse i was crushed up with my legs over the end of a mini table!!!! Absolute joke. Turned out i had a spiral break of the shin and it was pretty buggered (to use a medical term). Ambulance guys knew nothing, acted like ignorant mongs and asked me for 6man yen as payment!! My advice.....call a taxi if it isn`t life threatening as you`ll get better service and it`ll save your wallet! confused.gif \:\( confused.gif

I took a ride in an ambulance here after collapsing with severe pains in the back of my head. Basically they took my blood pressure, had a vague conversation and drove around (slowly) looking for a hospital with space!!

Quote:
My advice.....call a taxi if it isn`t life threatening as you`ll get better service and it`ll save your wallet!
Second this!!

A little concerning, thank god it wasn't serious. I was always under the impression that the first few minutes count in an emergency, that why most countries have paramedics. They would be a godsend. Maybe it is just part of a population control conspiracy. shifty.gif