It depends what kind of camera and lenses you will be using, and what you want to use it for.

If you're going to be hiking out and doing wilderness shots in the middle of nowhere, light may be better. On the other hand, if you're planning on using monster telephoto lenses, you may want something with a bit of weight and stablity behind it.

I use a manfrotto with a handy quick release feature on the head. However, if I was buying again, I'd get the version that holds the camera in place a little more secrurely with a secondary lock.

Manfrotto make good solid tripods (a little exxy though), but they can get a bit heavy. Oh, another nice feature is I can take the arm that holds the camera out of its normal setting, and hook it up so it is perpendicular to the ground. Good for getting in to do macro shots and the like...

I am using a Nikon D70 at present and will be taking general landscape shots but not in the backcountry.

I need something to stop camera shake for night shots etc. that will last a long time.

I am no expert and wanted to get a few tips on brands and simple features of tripods before I rock up at Bic Camera and get the local otaku to explain it all to me.